CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Housing snakes together - my very, very long opinion

Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #21
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfan4
IS THERE ANYBODY THAT BELONGS TO THE FORUMS THAT HAS HAD A PROBLEM KEPPING CORNS TOGETHER???
I used to keep 2 in the same viv they didn't try to cannibalize each other, but I had other problems like regurges, refusing to eat, and unexpectedly laying eggs after turning out to be a male and a female, it was before I found these forums or knew any better

Old 01-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #22
Mangrove
Arrow

i sjut ment i have no problem with it there has never been anyproblem with my snakes that i have together. i was sjut saying i was suprised that kathy love posted on this forum jump kinda amused i didnt mean anything other that that and i still agree with Cornman strongly

Old 01-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #23
Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cka
...and I thought i was the master of the "probably, you should or could, IMHO", etc...Corns are far and away the best snake to "experiment" with....feeding in the enclosure/out of the enclosure, housing separate or together, Okeetee phase vs. Okeetee locality (had to throw this one in )....Don't be afraid to try something a little against the grain in the interest of finding out what works for you...And when someone drops a thread to talk about it or question it don't jump right in to smash it just because it goes against the Edicts of the Troika...what works for them may not work for you, and they'll be the first to go "well, I usually do this ..." peace folks
I agree. I bought my corn as a starter snake because I was planning on getting a bp, but have no experience with snakes. I was told corn snakes are the prerfect snake for a beginner, and so my little guy came home with me, and I quickly fell in love.

I don't plan on getting any other corn snakes (not really a fan of them), but I really do enjoy my little guy and so I stay here and give advice when I can, based on what I hear others say. And I too am very careful about saying "never". And although I've been known to say it (a lot), there are always exceptions to the rule. I will say "NEVER house two snakes together", but I'm still careful to back it up with "you may not have any problems, but these are the risks". "Never" is my opinion and "these facts" are what they are based on.

It's a fine line, but unfortunately because I don't own the CSM, I've been called hypocritical for offering advice that the book gives (again... not quoting the book, just giving advice based on what I've learned that is IN the book). I remember cornman's reference to the manual (regarding two being housed together) and people claiming he misquoted Kathy.

I stay out of that completely, but "this" is what I learned and "this" is what I believe is best for the care of "my" snake. Take that advice for what you will.

And for the record, I don't think two corns should ever be housed together. Like Kathy said (and I quote)
Quote:
If you follow these instructions, you will often be able to EVENTUALLY keep 2 or 3 together once they are well acclimated.
She may be right in that you may never have problems if you follow her instructions, but the emphasis on that quote is still "often". Though mininal, the risk remains. And in my opinion, it's a silly argument to begin with.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:44 PM   #24
Packerfan4
Quote:
It helps a lot to be able to "read" them. Newbies are not familiar with their language, or the subtle signs of stress.
= Serpwidgets

-I may only be 17 but i got my first corn when i was 3 so i dont think that i really hav a problem "Reading them". and ya i do hav other things on my mind because im youg Fooball being the main one but when it comes to snakes and reptiles in general i think i hav a slight idea of what im doing. so maybe u should shut ur mout.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #25
Spirit
Woah, DEFENSE! Not that I need to stand up for Serp or anything, but who the hell are you? You're obviously new HERE...

Oh yeah, and welcome.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:08 AM   #26
MegF.
I think it's a matter of having your own opinion. I thought Kathy did an admirable job of posting both pros and cons of housing together. She didn't say you couldn't, she just said in most cases she wouldn't. She also pointed out that beginners might often have a difficult time figuring out a stressed snake. Look at the difficulty people have just treating one snake for regurge! I don't think that cannabilism is a huge problem, but I do think that disease spread, and stress could be. It's hard enough to stop R.I.'s from spreading thru a collection even when seperated by different containers. You could probably guarantee that all animals housed in the same viv will become ill. I couldn't afford to lose my snakes because of that. If I thought snakes suffered from loneliness, it would be different. According to most of the info I've read, corns are mostly solitary in the wild. They don't want companionship. Yes, in the pet store, they're all piled together. They are also usually very small, and there's almost never enough hides. I would expect them to kind of be together to benefit from the "maybe the other guy will get it first" syndrome. If you want to house together. Do it. If you don't. Don't. Just know all the thoughts either way before you decide that only one person's ideas are written in stone. I would also value the opinion of someone like Kathy, or Rich who have literally thousands of corns, over someone who has even 20. They have huge numbers of snakes that they can see how they react to each other, and experience the bad things so they can pass that info on to the rest of us. Anyway. Enough said.....I'm off my soap box now.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:28 AM   #27
starwarsdad
Gets out the popcorn and waits for Charles to see this one........

Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 AM   #28
Joker
Angry Whats going on here?

Packerfan4 First off whatever exeriences you got when you were 3 mean absolutly nothing now. Im sure you were very good at such responsibilities at the ripe old age of 3. If you want to house your snakes together thats fine with me. Nothing I would practice in our house though. Yes we do have more than one.
My wife and I have been keeping snakes for just over a year now. And I have learned a lot in that year. I have also gotten to know some of the people on this board rather well. Someone with 12 posts attacking some one like Serp is just childish and irresponsible. He was not attacking you personally. Im sure I will be the target of your next temper tantrum as being 17 you know it all anyway. Just my 2 cents now Ill sit back and wait for Serps reply
Joker

Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 AM   #29
Kel
Oh dear. Now it seems that both "sides" of the discussion are convinced that Kathy supports their particular view! This could run and run....

How about this suggestion:
Whenever anybody comes here to ask if they can keep Corns together, we just hold off on the flamewars, post a link to Kathy's post on this thread and let them decide from that?

It's not about stifling discussion, because let's face it, we've discussed this in increasingly unpleasant circles for months now and we just start on each other all over again whenever somebody new raises the subject. It'd be nice to see a sort of "agree to disagree" detante reached and Kathy's post is the most balanced view I've seen yet, presenting both pros and cons without being dogmatic about either.

How about it?

Old 01-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #30
oldhand
Im with kel, after following this "disagreement" since joining, let's just agre to disagree and and if possible post Kathy's thoughts on the homepage and lock it (if that can be done?), so people can then make up their oun minds and stop all the petty squabbling on the subject.
Is that not a good idea?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google