CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

help, snake not eating

Old 04-17-2002, 01:21 AM   #11
Doctor Mike
If this snake is over a year old and of a size and weight appropriate for age, not feeding for 1 month is not that big a deal yet.

However, if this non-feeding corn is a hatchling or very young, say 8 months or less, you should be getting concerned at the one month point of not eating. At the two month point of not eating, the potential for serious health declines and death becomes a real problem for such young snakes. I know because I went through that when I was a novice at snakekeeping, and numerous members here have had close calls or have lost their hatchlings because of this. I was very lucky to get my corn to a vet for syringe feeding with "AD" at the 2 month point, and today, Valentine is a very healthy 20 month old corn.

See my other post on gentler "force-feeding" options.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...=2207#post2207

Again, don't freak if you have an older snake, but I suspect your corn is a hatchling from your mention of pinkies for food.

Let us know how this goes.

Good health to your corn,
Doctor Mike

Old 04-19-2002, 12:59 PM   #12
sueb
I don't think that she is a young snake, she is almost 4' long, and the pet store told us that she was around 3 or 4.
It is now April 19, and she hasn't eaten for a month, but is still very active.
Can she lay eggs without being bred first? I've heard that some animals can do that, what about snakes??
I'm going to try feeding her again this week and I'll let you know what happens. She seems pretty happy tho. I think that i'm just worrying too much.

Old 04-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #13
sueb
and to Doctor Mike,
we were told to feed her the f/t pinkies. I'm just trying to get all the advice i can. Sometines she'll eat two in one feeding.

Old 04-19-2002, 03:34 PM   #14
kellum
pinkies sound really small for a 4' snake. Sounds like it should be eating big 'ole mice

Old 04-20-2002, 06:52 AM   #15
jim
the pet store gets more bang for your buck if you feed pinkies... a 4' snake should take adult mice no problem...
i wouldn't worry about the non-feeding thing for now. it is quite common for snakes to go off food at this time of year. (especially males) enjoy!!! ---jim

Old 04-21-2002, 07:26 PM   #16
sueb
she ate!!! yay!!!!

yay, Finally after a month, Cleo ate today.(April 21)!!!! I just put the f/t in and she ate it right away. I think I have to get get more mice now. And I'll get her full size ones too. Now i just hope that she keeps it up.Thanks for all the advice guys. You really do care.!!

Old 04-23-2002, 11:12 PM   #17
sueb
one more thing. I think that I am confused with the whole pinky, fuzzie etc... thing. We are feeding Cleo f/t mice. I think that they are young adult mice. Are pinkies the ones with no fur?? If so then I haven't given her any of those. All the mice that we have fed her have fur on them, so would these be fuzzies?? I'm confused Anyway I think that we are giving her young adults. That is what the pet store told me today. Thax for the help everyone.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:24 PM   #18
jim
mice names... pinky, fuzzie, hopper, etc.

sue,
in my experience the names that are applied to mice vary somewhat from person to person or vendor to vendor so this is just a rough estimate. pinkies are newborn-hairless eyes closed. fuzzies are a little larger but their eyes are still not open. some people sell peach fuzzies- pretty mch the same except that these are starting to grow some fur. hoppers/weanlings- eyes open and moving around well pre-adolescents i guess. then pretty much just small and large adult mice. i guess that just about covers it but like i said these parameters will vary from person to person. hope that helps... jim

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google