CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Who houses their Corns together?

Old 08-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #41
BeckyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I read somewhere that tribbles have twice the nutrient content of rats (but you have to shave them down).
They are more prolific as well. That's the trouble with tribbles.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:32 AM   #42
viktoria333
Tribbles?

Can someone tell me what the heck is a "tribble" please?Am very intrigued!Had my amels one night now,no regurgitation,was watching them both mooch about till the early hours.Both in thier hides this morning,Both have pooed.What should the consistency be of hatchling poo?It looks a bit like bird poo to me!I decided to use kitchen roll in the end for substrate,and was also wondering when i can change this as it is soiled and have been told by peeps on this forum to not handle my hatchlings for four to five days..I really don't like to leave them with poo in thier enclosures.I don't like to sit in filth and i don't expect my kids or my other animals to either.Any good ideas?Also,I've not managed to name them yet either,has anyone got any ideas as to a nice wacky name for them.I must also say i found that the end of a pringles tube makes an excellent hide,I just cut the bottom end off and cut an entry hole into it,it is lined with foil or something,so reflects and holds the heat inside.My hatchlings took to these,they have a choice of toilet roll tubes,upside down plantpots and these pringle things and they went for these.Just thought that might be usefull to someone out there..I think I just named my amels...Cheese and Onion!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #43
colinmcc
Bird poo sounds about right.

You are best to clean up after them. Just fish out the soiled stuff as best you can and replace it with fresh stuff. If you can do it without disturbing the snake, all well and good. If not, you're best to change it anyway.

Tribbles are a Star Trek thing .....

Old 08-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #44
viktoria333
tribbles

Cheers for that!will use beech or that coconut stuff you get in a block in future,have got some here from my water dragon,am missing his little green face already..He's got a good home tho,and his new owner is getting him a ladyfriend..If i use the chippings or cocut stuff then it would be easier to clean them withouy disturbing them too much,although they were very calm when i put them into thier new homes yesterday,i was very tempted to hold them for more than a few fleeting seconds,but took all the good advice all you guys have been giving me and left them well alone.\\If they've pooed then does that mean they are settling in?cheers everyone!

Old 08-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #45
Serpwidgets
Heh, one of the best ways to get a corn to poop is to put it somewhere clean.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #46
viktoria333
Pooping!

So does this mean that every time i clean them they are going to poo?Its no hardship for me,I clean poo all day![two babies in nappies,two dogs etc!]My water dragon would poo in the nice clean water i put in for him,Usually just as i shut the viv door!Iam missing him dreadfully.Does snake poo smell?Can't smell what they did last night,but obviously as the snake grows its poo will get bigger..

Old 08-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #47
Serpwidgets
I think some of it is just the timing, since mine often poop right after they've eaten, which is when I'm putting them back into their newly-cleaned box. But I have had plenty of incidents where I clean them out at some other time and right after I put them back, they're making a brand new mess.
Quote:
Does snake poo smell?Can't smell what they did last night,but obviously as the snake grows its poo will get bigger..
I can smell it, but it's not that bad, generally.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #48
viktoria333
Poo!

Just as long as it doesn't smell like cat poo i' ll be fine!Would be best to clean them babies out though.Would it be best to clean them at night being as they are nocturnal?I was planning on doing all the handling,cleaning and feeding at night as this seems to be when they are most active.One came out from its hide this morning when i inspected them,Don't know if they get to be "friendly" like my water dragon was,but i'll live in hope!

Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #49
traf2006
Talking

congrats on gettin two, i have two corn's i bought them as hatchlings one month apart on in December 04 and one in Jan 05 (Pay Day) and i have housed them together since i got them and have had no problems at all, they both feed very well and shed quite often, i would recommend that if you are going to house them together to wait till there both about 1 - 2 month's old, and not as snappy or as jumpy as they can be when they are babies, and have at least two hiding places so if they do want to get away from each other they can. My viv is 3'(L) 18"(D) 18"(H) and this is perfect at the moment both my corns are about 3 1/2' long and have plenty of room. although when i get back off holiday i am goin to buy a bigger viv as i want to put my Bearded Dragons in the one my corns are in. If you still feel a bit sketchy about putting them together then try putting them in a tank together for 5 - 10 mins each day and see how they react to each other and gradually extend the time they are together till you feel safe enough to let them live with one another.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #50
viktoria333
housing corns together

Thanks for the response,I have introduced Scylla and Medusa to each other,two days after I fed them.They wern't worried or stressed by each others presence so have decided to keep them apart for thier first year in separate containers inside the viv,and have them both out at the same time for handling,then at least if there were going to be problems then they would be spotted and I will have plenty of time to get another viv made[I may well do this anyway] then if it happens that they are not "compatable then I at least have somewhere to move the "naughty one" to.But,so far so good.I got S&M on the 14th aug 05 and they haven't missed or regurged any meal.They are right next to each other and must be happy with this so am thinking that when they are about a year I would be able to introduce the both of them to thier viv "proper" and watch very closely indeed...Both are in shed right now too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google