CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

poop

Old 04-20-2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Jr Nimeskern
poop

like the water issue... my corns dont even poop... ive feed them every 3-4 days and i keep their temp in their 10 gals at about 80deg and at night it probably drops to 70-75 I think they should be digesting their food well at those temp. and i never see them basking with the heat lamps? can someone give me some encouragment and tell me if im doing something wrong and how to fix it... thanks

Old 04-20-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
lynn
Is it possible that you have missed it, if the snake is small there won't be much of it and they sometime's do it on the perimeter of the tank and if you have a hide it may of done one down the back. Usually the smell is the first thing you notice. A lot of people give their snake's a bath and then they poop in that. I'm still learning myself but I hope this help's a little.

Old 04-20-2002, 05:17 PM   #3
Kevin M
Don't poop? Ever? Can you give us a time frame? How long has it been? I have corns that might as well be feces machines and others that poop every 2 weeks. It's all in individuality.

Of course if it has been a very long time since your corns have pooped then I suggest you take it/them to a vet.

-Kev

Old 04-21-2002, 04:07 AM   #4
Warren
Cool

Hey Corny,

What are you using as a substraight on the bottom of your cage? This might help us to understand your problem.
If your snake is not deficating then you should prolly notice a lump starting to form after a while. In which case you should get him to a vet soon. However, I doubt this is the case.
Some times pinkies don't produce a lot of solid waste for a snake to give out.

L8r,
wc

Old 04-21-2002, 07:38 AM   #5
LizS
To expand on Warren's question, what are you using as substrate? If the substrate is brown you might not notice the dry poop. I've noticed the poop stinks during the first few hours and after that the smell dies out and is hardly noticeable. Once you know how poop smells like you'll be able to tell if there is some old poop in the cage by sniffing inside it. Sometimes my snakes will poop in the substrate, they burrow in it and the poop is not visible on the surface. The urine component of corn poop is a yellowish white blob that breaks up into a powder when it dries and you might miss it as well.

If you want to be sure to see the poop line the cage with paper towels for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
Jr Nimeskern
thanks all for the help... I have aspen for substrate... Last night I put each of my corns in a separate sweater box and filled it half way with water... I kept them in there for 1 hr... (i did this because ive noticed mites and Im treating them now) anyways after the 1 hr bath I noticed that every single one of my corns pooped in the water... is this because of stress? or did they like it? I did it for their own good! lol but none the less they all pooped thanks for the help with the water and poop issues...

Old 04-21-2002, 12:50 PM   #7
CornsnakeKeeper
Do you know how to treat the mites? The water probably didn't do the complete job. If you aren't sure, we could give you some extra advice. Just asking.

Just a reminder, all new snakes added to any collection need to be quarantined! I made the same mistake... that's probably the leading cause of a collection getting mites.

They probably poop under the substrate when they burrow. This is very common and you will then smell it first. The bath probably did some good. Usually, 2 or 3 days after feeding, if you put them in a tupperware or something, they'll get active and pass their feces.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2002, 08:52 PM   #8
Jr Nimeskern
thanks for the help... right now for my mites... all ive done was was all the tank furniture and soaked my snakes... but Im not really to sure what to do next... i was reading in kathy loves book that I could get some kind of mite strip??? but i dont know where to get them... i live in a small town and theres not really a variaty around here... what can i say im in KANSAS!!!!!

Old 04-22-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
jim
provent-a-mite

^that is probably the best with a very low risk if used correctly. most of the mail order places carry it. good luck!!! ---jim

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google