CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

worrying like a new dad should!!

Old 04-30-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
kellyjones
worrying like a new dad should!!

Like all new dads, I am worrying over nothing, probably. I have bought my first cornsnake 3 weeks ago. I noticed the other day that his eyes were clouding over. I presumed he was getting ready to shead. However, 48 hours ago the eyes cleared but as yet no shedding. How long is normal? I was told not to feed him during this time. Is this correct? I just need re assuring that I am being a good dad !!!

Old 04-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
LizS
After their eyes clear, my snakes take 2 to 3 days to shed. It seems to vary a little every time. Be sure there is plenty of humidity in your snake's cage, at least 70%. Your snake will be shedding sometime today, I predict.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Matt L
Don't Worry! Your corn should shed about 24-48 hours after the eyes clear up, but it may last a little longer. The biggest problem with feeding during the shed is that when the eyes are clouded the snakes vision is impaired. Some snakes just will not eat during the shed, it depends on the snake. If you stick with a feeding schedule, it will not be a problem for your snake to miss a meal. I usually will offer food after the eyes have cleared. If the snake shows no interest, just wait untill the shed is over. I have found that increased humidity in the tank/tray during shed will help ease the process along.

Good Luck!
Matt L.

Old 04-30-2002, 01:22 PM   #4
Jr Nimeskern
I must agree with everyone here... Your snake probably will shed today or tomarrow... When I had my first snake it did that and I was a little worried just like a new dad... lol... but anyways dont worry your snake will do fine

Old 04-30-2002, 04:40 PM   #5
Iris
yeah..what everyone said is pretty much right. I have also heard that it is better not to feed during this time but I never got any real reasons. I figure the old skin will be really tight and not flexible so the rodent bulge would be kind of uncomfortable for the snake.
Congrats on being a new dad!

Old 04-30-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
jim
ummmm yeahh what they ^^^^ said... good luck with your new snake!!! ---jim

Old 04-30-2002, 09:43 PM   #7
kellyjones
Thanks everyone. You have put a new Dad at ease!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google