CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Worried

Old 01-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
02CETA24
Worried

I have two corn snakes and its feeding time for both. My snow corn snake took the food pretty well but my other wont eat. What should i do to encourage it to eat and is there something wrong? He is also sleeping a lot lately should he be sleeping a lot? Its got me worried.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
debeck3
is he/she in blue (about to shed) cuz if so that could be the reason of it not wanting to eat but there could be other reasons too

Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
wade
My first question would be how do you know he is asleep. You do know that they can’t close their eyes, right?

It is not unusual for snakes to skip a meal or even several meals. It is nothing to be concerned about. It is winter time and many snakes go off their feed during the winter, and become less active.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
danielle
I think in order for people to help you need to include your cage temps, snakes age, and how long you have had them. Your snake could be in blue and not want to eat, maybe the food was too big, not warm enough, or something that guy isn't used to eating if it is new.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
02CETA24
Well.......no hes not in the blue and he'll stay in one spot for a long period of time and not move im not sure if he is sleeping or just laying in one spot. Both my corn snakes are in a 11 gallon tank i beleive my husband is the one that bought the cage the heat stays at a steady 80 to 85 degrees. I dont know the snakes age the people at petco didnt give us an age for both. Ive had my first one for about a week and the other for a couple of days.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
danielle
Do you have them in the same 11 gallon tank or did I just misread you? If so please separate them as the stress of a cagemate is more than enough to make them not want to eat. Also the new one may need some more time to settle in before it is ready to eat so I would just leave him/her alone and not handle for the next 4-5 days and then try feeding an extra tiny pinkie warmed.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
sober_serpents
ok.. well the one who wont eat... if you;ve had it a few days- thats completely normal. Also, petco is good at selling non feeders. give the new snake a few days to get accustomed to its new home- it has new smells, sights, sounds. make sure you dont touch or bother a new snake when you get it. new snakes are easily stressed. after about 3-5 days offer a smaller than normal food item. leave the snake alone or in the dark preferably over night. try not to handle the snake if it has eaten for 3 days until it has digested its food. if it has not eaten, carefully put the snake back in its house and wait another 3-7 days and try again. it very well may be a non feeder or it could just be stressed and not interested in eating.
~kin

Old 01-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
danielle
Also your UTH should only cover 1/3-1/2 of the cage as you need a cool side as well and believe me those things go well over 100 degrees so you will need a thermostat and rheostat combo to control the temp on the warm side and prevent burning/killing your snakes. Your cool side should be normal room temps in the seventies so your snake can cool down when it needs to since they can't regulate their own body temps well without having both options.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
02CETA24
They both have been fine with each other i work with them 3 times a day the newest one i got took his food like no tomorrow. It took him seconds to swallow that explains why he striked at me yesturday. They both have been used to having cage mates. Yes same cage. The uth is on one side of the cage with the heating lamp so there is a cool spot for them. Im thinking the one that wont eat is smaller than the one i bought the other day. I guess the only thing i can do is try to encourage it to eat and give it some time and see where it goes from there if things dont get any better i will have to take it to a vet.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
danielle
You should do a search on here about cohabbing snakes- its deadly long term. If snakes liked the company of other snakes they would live together in the wild; intead the big one eat the little one in the wild and this occurs eaier in a tiny cage with no way for the little guy to get away. Also "working" with your snakes 3 times a day when they are this new is stressful and not necessary. They need time alone to settle in and take a few meals in before they are handled regularily. A UTH and a heat lamp can put out a lot of heat so I hope you have a thermostat with probe and rheostat to monitor and control the temps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google