CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

I'm new and would like advice please!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Toni
I'm new and would like advice please!

Hi all,

I have been reccomended this websire through a facebook group. I currently have 2 corns, a hypo and a snow. I'm am getting new vivs made. I would like your opinions on the size needed for adult corns. The best substrate to use and the best heating and light to use.

Also do you bath your corns? I'm not sure if i should be doing this or not?

Look forward to hearing replies! Or does any one know a a really good care sheet, i know im not a beginner, but i want to make sure they are getting the best of everything! I got one care sheet but it was very sparse!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Nanci
I'm partial to this caresheet!!

An adult needs a minimum of 30" x 12", or 24" x 24", and they won't mind more space. It only needs to be 12" tall because they don't really climb, but it's easier to furnish it when it's a little taller, maybe 18".

I don't bathe the snakes unless they get poo or mouse juice on themselves, usually in their feeding bins.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Optreptiles
I highly recommend the book Corn snakes: The Comprehensive Owner's Guide, by Bill and Kathy love. It is an excellent book and has taught me much of what I know about cornsnakes now. As for substrate, most people swear by aspen as the best, but newspaper works just as well if you are on a low budget. I think under tank heating pads or heating tape with thermostats work much better than heat lamps as they are all around more controllable and precise, whereas heat lamps can be unpredictable and too ambient, heating more of an area than you want to be heated.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Toni
Hi, i have read the care sheet and it's better than most i have seen! I knew i was doing things wrong! She said no light heater and that what i use. I near lost my baby cleo due to a heat mat and very bad advice! I have order aspen baedding so it should come in a couple of days! Cleo my younger corn is a great eater and nimbus my snow takes notions, it is hard to tell when he is shedding though!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Toni
I'm going to look for that book! Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Skully23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Hi, i have read the care sheet and it's better than most i have seen! I knew i was doing things wrong! She said no light heater and that what i use. I near lost my baby cleo due to a heat mat and very bad advice! I have order aspen baedding so it should come in a couple of days! Cleo my younger corn is a great eater and nimbus my snow takes notions, it is hard to tell when he is shedding though!
I'm not sure if by this you mean a heat pad is bad? If so I must say they are not bad....They are actually recommended for a snake.

Of course a reptile heat pad is needing and under the tank... not in it.
use one according to the size of tank.

I use these
http://lllreptile.com/load-image/Sto...age/image/3874

You have to have it controlled in order for them to be safe otherwise they can reach over 120 degrees. Use a dimmer or thermostat to control
http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/i...thermostat.jpg

To make sure use one of these too
http://aquaterras.com/bmz_cache/5/50...ge.160x160.jpg

If your not getting at "heat mats are bad advice" then I guess I just gave you extra info :P

A minimum of a 20gallon long tank is suggested for your adult snakes although bigger benefits..
Aspen is a great bedding

Welcome! Enjoy the forums and your snakes.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Toni
@ Skully,

I was told by the petshop to duct tape it to the floor, that it was safe! She got stuck to the tape! Worst morning ever!

I live in northern ireland and don't have any friends that keep reptiles! I've had Cleo 2 1/2 years and Nubus 1 year! Am only now finding out everything i thought was good advise isn't!

Thank you for the links hopefully i can get them over here! But i have new bedding order and the book mentioned aboove, i will have to redo my 2 vivs! But as money is tight it will have to been done in bits and pieces. They are both eating and shedding well at the min! thank god! Glad to be on here! When i first got my dragons the amount of wrong things i was told was amazing! And now im finding thi all out about my snakes!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Skully23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
@ Skully,

I was told by the petshop to duct tape it to the floor, that it was safe! She got stuck to the tape! Worst morning ever!

I live in northern ireland and don't have any friends that keep reptiles! I've had Cleo 2 1/2 years and Nubus 1 year! Am only now finding out everything i thought was good advise isn't!
Yep, you learn a lot from pet store employees then come to realize you're doing it all wrong. Since I have years of experience with all sorts of animals..I just nod and go off and buy what I want and know about.
remember pet store employees are there to work and often don't have animal experience ^^

Duct tape! Bad.. Sucks to learn from the wrong. Just remember foil tape against the bottom on the outside

Good luck

Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Toni
This is from a shop who claim to be beeders! Crazy!

I have a beardie called Fred 2! He 9 years old now i rescued him 2 years ago!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Holly12
Hello Toni welcome to the forums this is great site alot of good advise on here so come in and join us nice to meet you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google