CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Random recent animal pictures

Old 05-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
67temp
Random recent animal pictures

These are all random animals I've gotten pictures of recently. Most were found either on my farm in Pa or while hunting in VA.

#1 redback salamander
#2 redback salamander with a natural morph one called a leadback
#3 underwing cataplier
#4 American giant millipede
#5 American black vulture babies less than a week old

Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Twolunger
Nice photos, I see you like field herping as much as I do. I've been finding garter snakes
in my area that are morphs that are unusual. I need to do a bit more research to find out how unusual they really are, almost like they have a hypo gene. I'm more interested in the corns I find, so haven't checked further regarding garters. When I lived in northern Michigan I would place pieces of plywood around the fields and woods and field mice would make nests under them. Then snakes would find the mice and I'd find them resting under the plywood. I've placed plywood in spots around here, but never found anything under them.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
67temp
On the farm I recently bought I have a pile of wood scraps down near the barn. I'm still waiting to find my first snake on the property. Every time I go by the pile I flip boards over.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Frank Pinello
Very nice photos. I appreciate you sharing them with us.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
On the farm I recently bought I have a pile of wood scraps down near the barn. I'm still waiting to find my first snake on the property. Every time I go by the pile I flip boards over.
I was lifting a small pile of old boards once and noticed a snake tail, kind of brown in color and about 8 inches long. I grabbed it and yanked it out only to find it was a Norway rat tail, and he/she wasn't very happy. It let out a squeal and so did I. I didn't do that again.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
bushsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Nice photos, I see you like field herping as much as I do. I've been finding garter snakes
in my area that are morphs that are unusual. I need to do a bit more research to find out how unusual they really are, almost like they have a hypo gene. I'm more interested in the corns I find, so haven't checked further regarding garters. When I lived in northern Michigan I would place pieces of plywood around the fields and woods and field mice would make nests under them. Then snakes would find the mice and I'd find them resting under the plywood. I've placed plywood in spots around here, but never found anything under them.
The garter sounds interesting. Got any pics? Maybe i coukd shed some light on them for ya

Old 05-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Twolunger
Didn't take any pictures, but I did handle a few to see what color the undersides were. They had 3 light yellow stripes, a dorsal stripe and two side stripes. The upper colors I have seen were a dark brown, a reddish brown, a light brown, a dark gold, and a dark yellow. All had clean looking undersides either a cream or light yellow. At first I thought they were ribbon snakes, but they were not thin like most ribbons I have seen. What is also unusual is that there were no real noticeable spots between the stripes. I've found them crossing the road and found several that were hit by cars. I've also seen blacker ones with yellow stripes, like the common garters up north, and a one Bluestripe garter. When you look up the geographical range for garters they seldom show them far down in southwest Florida.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
67temp
Found this little one basking in the fence off dog section of my yard.Name:  Resized952019053195175936953617.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  165.8 KB

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google