CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Another interesting spider around here

Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Raven
Yeah, I've had a few spiders that were the size of a newborn kitten. I made a friend move one for me because she ever so kindly made her enormous web from the roof of my porch to my car. If I walked out of my door, I would have had a spider the size of my fist on my head. I love watching spiders, but that one... No thanks!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
Rich Z
We have a type of spider around here that tends to only build it's web during the night hours. It must take it up during the day, because we never see the webs then. Makes walking outside during the night to go to the garage or other building a challenge, because just because there wasn't a web across the path earlier during daylight hours, doesn't mean there won't be one there now. And, of course, the spider tends to sit in the web right about face height.

They don't get very big, only having a body size about the diameter of a nickel, at most, but still...... Any spider in my face is one WAY too many for me. And this one just looks, well, EVIL looking to me. No way I want it running across my face!

About the only spiders I seem to have a soft spot for are the little jumping spiders. Not sure why, but for some reason I will go out or my way to help keep them from inadvertent harm.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Raven
If you take a flashlight out at night and shine it around, you'll see just how many there are around your yard (I'm guessing we have the same types of spiders). Their eye glow. I like the crab spiders - spiny orb weavers - I forget their scientific name though. Starts with an m I think.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 AM   #14
Rich Z
Someone showed me that trick with a flashlight at night. You hold the flashlight parallel with your eyes and that really helps to see the gleam of the eyes all around you.

Once I spotted a possum (or was it an armadillo?) like that and it gave me quite a start as I thought it was a particularly HUGE spider's eyes gleaming back at me. Feet don't fail me now!

Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #15
Raven
Ha! We get giant spiders in Florida but thankfully none Harry Potter style. Glad it was only an opossum (or maybe raccoon) and I don't immediately have to move.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
DeuceRon
Our big thing around here now is the centipedes. I haven't see any garden or orb weavers in a long time. They are cool though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google