CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New to snakes - new to here

Old 02-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Avaelbane
New to snakes - new to here

Hello! I am brand new to owning a snake though I did research for months before buying one. Yesterday I become the proud mommy to a baby snow cornsnake.

So the main reason I sought out this forum... he (or she?) is currently in the process of shedding but the previous owner didn't have the humidty high enough so it's in pieces. I was told to "soak him" but I'm also not supposed to handle him, so... which is more important to follow right now? Leave him alone or move him to soak him? Currently he's basically staying in the hide on the cool side of the tank. Seems to have no interest is going to the other side. I had been led to believe snakes normally stayed on the warmer side more often. Despite my research I find myself very confused. I'm certain I'll have many more questions as time goes on.

This is the best picture I could get before he zoomed into the hide last night.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Twolunger
Soak it in shallow water about 82 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. If the water feels warm to you it's too hot. Then let the snake slither through a damp rag or paper toweling and the shed should roll right off the snake's body. Make sure the end of the tail is free of old skin.

The humidity in my snake room is only 40% and I don't have shedding problems. If there is water in the vivarium, as yours does, the corn will soak while in the shedding process, and even after for a day or two. If I notice the snake's eyes clouding over I'll wait a few days and start gently misting the substrate, but lately I haven't even been doing that since they all shed without any problem.

My corns stay on the cooler side of their containers most of the time, except after eating, and sometimes during the shedding process. Then they stay on the warm side while digesting, and soon move to the cooler side again.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
Dragonling
It's worth noting that when people say you shouldn't handle a snake in shed, what they actually mean is you shouldn't get it out just to play with it. I leave my animals in shed alone, but when it's cleaning day, they get unceremoniously plopped into a bucket regardless. Males in shed also typically do not seem to mind being disturbed in order to breed.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Avaelbane
Thanks for the help! He's looking a lot better today. Still a couple spots that have some bits hanging on but for the most part he's nice and sleek already. One of the eye caps is still on. Do I need to worry about that yet?

He seems to enjoy being handled. When I was fixing up the tank when we got him home he would come and start wrapping around my hand. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it but it seemed affectionate. Silly snakey! I'm going to try feeding him later today since he's had a couple days to acclimate and the shedding seems to be mostly done. If he doesn't eat I'll try again in a couple days.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
Twolunger
If you soaked him and had him slither through a rag or paper towel there should not be bits hanging on. Trying to remove an eye cap is not something I'd try unless I was very confident. Some recommend waiting until the next shed, and with proper moisture the eye cap will shed. There has been a suggestion on forums that a piece of Scotch type tape pressed against the cap and gently pulled off will bring the cap with it. I have read that soaking a snake for 30 minutes and then placing it in a damp pillow case will allow it to rub the cap off. I had to soak a hatchling a few years ago that had both eye caps retained and then gently lifted the eye caps with a finger nail.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
DeuceRon
Welcome and good luck with your little noodle! Hope the shed comes off!

Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Welcome and congrats on your new baby!

Old 03-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #8
SnakeCreations
Hi there and welcome!

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google