CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Uneven temperatures

Old 04-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
jckyeager
Uneven temperatures

I have a 40 Gallon tank heated with a CHE on a stat and I’m not sure if my temps are okay. I have a piece of driftwood in there and the top end is maybe 15 inches from the bulb, which is what i have my probe fixed to. I have the wire glued to the branch so the probe is suspended under the bulb. The top of the branch gets to around 86 degrees but the substrate temps and only 79-80 in few spots. Is this okay since my snake can climb the branch to thermoregulate properly or do i need to move the branch and try and get it more consistent. My other concern is the screen lid under the bulb reaching 120+ degeees and my snake burning herself on it.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Twolunger
If you are referring to a ceramic heat emitter or ceramic heat bulb, the only time I would use them is if the ambient temp in your tank or vivarium is too cold during the winter months. Otherwise, an under tank heating pad providing belly heat, and controlled by a probe and thermostat, is the way to go. I have seen, and read about, scale damage due to heat bulbs drying out the skin/scales. Corns can reach quite far vertically in their enclosures and burning is quite possible with heat like you are describing.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
DeuceRon
^ Very well said sir!! I also use a ceramic heat bulb as my little girl spends a lot of time high in the tank on the warm side. Really seems to enjoy it. Cannot get close enough to burn though

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google