CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello again

Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #31
Eavlynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
This annoys the crap out of me. 95% of the corn snakes at Ohio shows seem to be flipped with no records, so they get labeled according to whatever the seller thinks it looks like.

It can be expensive to buy from a large established breeder like SMR or SRCorns, but it's 100% worth the extra money for a quality animal. I have several snakes from both and couldn't be happier with them.
It's not just Ohio unfortunately. It seems to be pretty common everywhere you go. I have more vendors that I dislike, than those that I like and respect. I could rant for days!

Back on topic though, I don't know of any breeders in philly that work with hoggies. Your best bet might be to have one shipped. That way you can guarantee that your hoggie is what they advertise it to be, is in good health, and an established feeder.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #32
Tavia
Hognose is a great choice! Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Don is great of course.
I bought my albino hog from Joe Taffis on Fauna though and had an all around pleasant experience with him. He's actually in Pottsvile, PA. No idea if that's close to you or not but at least in state shipping is usually pretty reasonable, so he might be worth a look.

I've kept at various points in time (currently 19) 25 species of snakes and my hogs are in the top 6 for activity during the day.
They do tend to go on 1 to 6 month feeding strikes once they are over a year old though and start feeling the pull of breeding season. That's normal and nothing to worry about but does tend to freak out new owners at first.
That's for males, females generally fast less but in general, I've found the males to be better pets than the females, minus the tendency to fast. So I'd also recommend a male.

Here is my normal, Atticus.

And the albino from Joe. He actually sired a clutch this year with a local friend's female, so if you were interested, I could put you in touch with my friend who will be selling them, there were both normals and albinos in the clutch. But shipping would probably cost more from here than from either Don or Joe Taffis.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #33
reptilelover
Thank you all for the advice. Tavia I love your hoggies. They are so pretty. I have found a breeder in Ohio that I am working with. He has spent a lot of time with me and I have narrowed down my choice to two different ones. I have to choose one....hmmm decisions They are both anaconda and male. Making my decision tonight, he is holding both for me now. He is going to hold it for me until mid September. so looking forward to the search being over, I have been searching for quite some time.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #34
Tavia
Mmmm, nice! I love the Anacondas!

Old 08-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #35
reptilelover
HI Tavia. If you don't mind me asking: what is the difference between the normals and the anaconda, they look similar.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #36
Tavia
It's a codom pattern modifier gene. In the het form, it reduces the pattern, though sometimes only a little, sometimes a lot. As variable as the normals are, sometimes it can be difficult, at least for me, to tell them apart.

Picture of a normal pattern, courtesy of Google.

A picture of a nice het Anaconda. Courtesy of Google.

And when a hognose has two Anaconda genes, homo or Super, it removes nearly all of the pattern, though striped Anacondas and Supercondas exist.
A Superconda, picture courtesy of Google, again.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #37
reptilelover
Wow! That's cool. Do less of a pattern is a anaconda right on down to no pattern equals a super. Thanks Tavia. Have an awesome day

Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #38
reptilelover
*** So**** in above comment instead of Do...lol

Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #39
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilelover View Post
HI, it's been a while since I have posted anything on the forum so thought it may be a good time to do that. I do not have a snake yet. When I first started looking I was looking at a corn snake. Well the more I look at snakes the more I get confused as to which type to get. I am definitely attracted to the Hognose and Kenyan Sand Boa (dodo Anery morph). Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the Sand Boa?. I like the idea that they stay on the small side, along with the hognose snake. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
I'm late to this thread but since i keep corn, sand (smooth and rough) and hoggies i thought I'd chime in since I see it will be your first snake. I keep a few dozen species and I also do love my hoggies and sand boas.
Sand boas are pretty easy to keep. Even though they are called sand boas it is best not to keep them in sand. Sand boas have the fastest strike out of all my species and they will strike you without hesitation. Their toxic saliva can cause a reaction to your skin. Beginner snake yes but not a very social snake. If you can get them out without a strike then they are docile to hold.
Hognoses (western) got great personalities. personally I prefer a girl over a boy. They like smaller more frequent meals. Boys hunger strikes for a first timer can be stressful. I would put hatchlings and males in the intermediate category and yearling females and older in the beginner category. They say ( I never looked LOL) that they are rear fanged or really enlarged rear teath and have a toxic saliva like a bee sting. If your allergic to bees then you could react to a hoggy bite. I've been chewed on by my very large female albino hoggy with no ill effects other than bleeding haha. I've had reactions to the sand boa saliva but not the hognoses.
Now out of my many species there are ones that I truly have a fascination for like my leucistic pines or my 5 species of beauties but when it comes to interaction, ease of care and a snake that seems to like you too you can't beat a corn snake. All you have to do is read all the great posts by all the corn snake lovers on here. yeah it is a corn snake forum but there is a reason that the corn snake is the #1 colubrid in the world to own and is the best beginner snake to start with. Just cruise around this forum and see

Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM   #40
Magdalen
Hmmm ok feeling slightly better knowing it's a thing for year old males to go on a hunger strike.

Anyway, my Kenyan sand boa was extremely docile and a great eater but I don't think her saliva was toxic. Maybe not the Kenyans?

There are some pretty neat pictures out there of their rear fangs. They are there. I've heard different things about their saliva being toxic vs that they are mildly vemomous, that is not that affective against humans.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google