CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heating issues

Old 10-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
Heathus
Heating issues

So I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my tanks at the same temp. I live in California in a house with no ac/heating, so the temps go up and down like crazy. I currently have a rheostat connected to my tanks, but even on the coolest setting it can get to 100+ depending on the temp in the house. I'm just worried I will either burn or freeze my scale-children.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
there is not going to be an easy fix to your problem. No Heat or AC and big temperature fluctuations will make it almost impossible to maintain a steady temp on your snake's housing. Personally, I think that should have been thought out before acquiring a snake.

I'm afraid you'll either have to purchase a small Heat/AC unit at least for the room the snake is in, or you should consider keeping the snake at somebody else's house. I can not see any other options or possibilities that make any sense and that are easily accomplished. I have heard of folks wrapping their tanks with ice blankets to bring high temps down, and wrapping them with heat tape to bring temps up. But even still the temps go up and down, require constant monitoring, and will prove to be a nightmare.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Heathus
I've had my snakes for 5+ years and this move was a recent one. I might be able to convince my father to let me place them in his room. It's the only room with ac. It's a large room, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Thank you for your response.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
your father gets heat and ac and you just have to suffer in 100 degree heat?

That's terrible.

I almost feel as bad for you as I do your snake.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #5
Heathus
Oh let me clarify. The uth gets up to 100. It's hasn't been 100 since September. Lol It's in the 90s this week, but normally it's 85 and gets in the 60s during the night. We're figuring out a setup now so we have a consistent temp in their current room.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
DollysMom
Best wishes on solving the problem. I've been to Lindsay in the summer and I can't believe the house doesn't have a swamp cooler, no less A/C. Does the house at least have a wood stove or fireplace for the winter? Start saving now for a room A/C for your snake room for the summer. BTW, I've lived in CA in a house in the foothills with no A/C and only a fireplace for heat, but had no herps at the time.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Invest in a thermostat, which will regulate the temps for you.
A rheostat won't adjust the temps, that has to be done manually with a rheostat.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
claire.chapman11
Yes, get a thermostat. Two cheap ones are the reptitemp 500r by zoo med and the hydrofarm ones. About $30 on amazon and they do a pretty good job.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #9
Oscarsdad
Actually....I'm not far off from that....my snakes are native..so are used to the natural climate anyway...and I figure if I can survive...so can they....

Now....it's a real good idea to give them about 3 inches of aspen bedding....so the get a chance to thermoregulate somewhat....but basically if you can survive in a room....(without drastic measures) ...so can a snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google