CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Looking for expert opinions

Old 10-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Kosmic Kid
Looking for expert opinions

Hey, so I'm still not very savvy when it comes to identifying various corn snake morphs so I wanted to get some thoughts on one of my adult females. She was a PetCo find and I got her as a baby and I have always thought of her as a normal/wild type. As she grew she seemed to have less and less pattern and got deeper and deeper red in color, like what I think of as diffused/bloodred. The odd thing to me is her belly pattern, which still has the black and white checkers towards her head but about halfway down her belly is like this tomato orange color. When I breed her, her "normal" babies do the same thing. I'm not a photographer, but I am adding some pictures below to illustrate what I mean. The first 2 are of one of her babies (she was bread to an anery with no hets that I am aware of). This is how she looked when I got her. The second 2 are of one of her yearlings (same paring) and the last 3 are of her. So again, newbie to genetics here just looking for an expert opinion. Thanks!
Name:  01.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  77.5 KB

Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Kosmic Kid
Last 3 images:
Name:  05.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  123.4 KB

Old 10-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Beautiful girl! I think she looks like a red factor.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Dragonling
The masking of the black reminds me more of red coat, but my experience there is limited. Curious to see opinions from someone who does work with RC.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Oscarsdad
I am the most stupidest, ignorant member here????I say blood red....

Old 10-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
I have no idea how to differentiate between red coat and red factor visually, but the fact that she had babies with a similar appearance makes me think red factor (because it's dominant, right?).

Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
Dragonling
The way it's always been described to me is that red coat is a top coating of red pigment which can mask some of the markings whereas red factor pumps up the reds in the background.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarsdad View Post
I am the most stupidest, ignorant member here????I say blood red....
One way to know for sure she's not a bloodred/ diffused is she has belly checks. But it's easy to get blown away by the red she developed!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
NiklasTyreso
Not a diffused, but a handsome blood outcross!

Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
DuxorW
Interesting that you say she looked pretty normal when she was small, I would expect redcoat and red factor to be more obvious at that age? Do you have any baby pics of her from around the time you got her?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google