CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Girls won't mate

Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
Rawren
Girls won't mate

So my I put my male in with each of my girls the day they all shed (girls shed a couple days apart). He was very eager to breed but every time he touched the girls they quickly slithered away. More like whipped away... He was doing everything to try to court. After awhile I'd catch them curled up together.

What do I do to get a successful lock? This is my first time breeding. I've left then each together for 2 days and then separated. Do I just keep repeating this?

Also, during all this do I need to feed?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
67temp
I am far from experienced as this is my first year too. If they were left together for 2 days you typically won't know if they actually locked or not unless you witnessed it or the male left a "sample" behind.

For my first clutch the female kept eating till about a week before her pre-lay shed. So she was empty by the time she was ready to lay.

This link might help you some. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145506

Old 04-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
albinoscooby
Are you sure that one of them is a female? Sounds like it could be behavior between two males. They usually wrap around one another....

To get them to breed, you can try to put them in a bin together and spray some mist lightly over them. It makes the females sent stronger. Don't put them togeter in their tank that they live in. Put them in a bin and leave them alone for a while, than go back and check a few hours later and see if the Snake semen is there in the tank. Than you'll know

this is provided that you do have a female and not two males

Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Rawren
Everyone has been sexed correctly and confirmed

Old 04-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Frank Pinello
Be patient. Most of my corns don't cooperate until mid April. Try every week this month.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawren View Post
So my I put my male in with each of my girls the day they all shed (girls shed a couple days apart). He was very eager to breed but every time he touched the girls they quickly slithered away. More like whipped away... He was doing everything to try to court. After awhile I'd catch them curled up together.

What do I do to get a successful lock? This is my first time breeding. I've left then each together for 2 days and then separated. Do I just keep repeating this?

Also, during all this do I need to feed?
Most of the time when I put a female in with a male she acts like she is not receptive and quickly slithers away. If the male is persistent she may stop and it's tail lock time. I just leave them together until I feed the pair, and all the corns, and I put her back in her container. I leave her alone until she and the male defecate, and then I put them together again. I don't necessarily need to see a tail lock. When they are together nature takes over. I just put a lavender male and a sunkissed female together and before she could move away the male had her tail locked.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google