CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Male on Hunger Strike!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #41
hypnoctopus
I use a plastic container with a lid that has a big hole for her to be able to easily get in and out. I put mine partially on the warm side, so if she wants to be warmer, she can, but she isn't stuck on the warm side.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #42
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
I always heat the mice before feeding him, I just usually make sure the head is extra warm. I'm really worried about feeding inside his viv. First off, I don't want him to associate things coming into his viv with food, and (more importantly) I don't want him eating any of his aspen.
While I offer on a plate and certainly try to avoid substrate ingestion, I have watched hognose eat a teaspoon of the stuff many times, and pass it. I don't think aspen consumption is a huge environmental risk. For me, this is only a problem with hairless mice that I use to feed hoggies. A dry mouse with fur won't have much sticking to it. And food association with the viv, etc. is nonsense, imo. If you feed them, they understand that people = food sometimes but not always. Not saying you should stop feeding outside the viv as a practice, but I would certainly stop until he's feeding reliably again. http://arbreptiles.com/lastword/snakefeeding.shtml
Quote:
I know people who feed inside the viv usually place the mouse on a feeding tray of some sort, but he sometimes pushes the mouse around before eating so I'm not sure if that would be effective in preventing bedding consumption.
I have had more than twenty snakes on feeding strike take live. I *hate* feeding live, but it's worked for me many times, including this year. The good thing is, they usually will fall right back into feeding on f/t after they take their live meal. Only a time or two have I had former great f/t feeders get stuck on live. If you are worried about an aggressive mouse, get a crawler. It won't be much food, but if it kick-starts the feeding response, it's worth it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
ashleynicole
I feed in the vivs when Im lazy, my husband hates it, but we have 8 snakes and its just soooo much easier to feed in there.

That being said we did get a few more bites when I fed them in their vivs regularly so we stopped for a while and only do it now when wete in a crunch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #44
smigon
Quote:
Woah he/she/it is getting a hide box ASAP. Should it be make of something like cardboard or can it be see through like a humid hide?
Make it dark. Like I said, I used a cardboard shoe box but that was in quick desperation, and it was only used a couple of days so it did its purpose and was discarded. If you only have clear containers to use, cover the viv with a towel to give her privacy. If she does go in and stays in, leave her be for a few days until you see her out on her own. If she hasn't come out after 4 days I would take a peek in the box. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #45
RedCloud
Had another feeding this Sunday and HE ATE! It was 1 "normal" sized adult mouse. Looked kinda tiny to me, but he took it right from my hand! Yea I know I could have gotten chomped, but I was wearing gloves and he NEVER strikes at his mice. He always just gently takes them and eats xD I'm hoping that's it and he's back to normal! After the feed I put him in his warm hide and he only came out yesterday for some water.
As far as a lay box, I put in his humid hide and then just covered his Viv with a large towel since I can't seem to find and suitable cardboard. I've noticed he's only squishy feeling when not moving. When he's using his body to slither around, he's much more firm. I'd have him sexed by a pro, but there's no one near me who keeps reptiles and the vets want a small fortune to stick a probe up my snakes butt lol *Not that I wouldn't take him to the vet if he needed it. Just think it's silly to pay $200+ for someone to poke around my snake and tell me something as simple as gender lol *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #46
Chip
Good to hear!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #47
smigon
YAY! Good to hear, and hopefully the lay box isn't even an issue. But it may be in the future, because we ALL know you can't have just one corn! (Isn't there a law about that? The "Multiple Cornicus Snakus" law, it requires a minimum of 2, but the more you have the less laws you are breaking!!!)

Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #48
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
YAY! Good to hear, and hopefully the lay box isn't even an issue. But it may be in the future, because we ALL know you can't have just one corn! (Isn't there a law about that? The "Multiple Cornicus Snakus" law, it requires a minimum of 2, but the more you have the less laws you are breaking!!!)
Good lord, I thought that was just a funny little thing you guys would say cause corns are awesome and all. When I got Chipotle, I only wanted ONE snake. Now that I have him and am used to him....I want another. Not that I don't LOOOVE Chipotle, but I want more snakes to share my love with :P I'm actually considering getting a snake rack for like $300 cause I don't have room in my house for a bunch of tanks. I'm just a bit worried about working with heat tape lol

I think you people brainwashed me into wanting more

Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #49
smigon
Quote:
Good lord, I thought that was just a funny little thing you guys would say cause corns are awesome and all. When I got Chipotle, I only wanted ONE snake. Now that I have him and am used to him....I want another. Not that I don't LOOOVE Chipotle, but I want more snakes to share my love with :P I'm actually considering getting a snake rack for like $300 cause I don't have room in my house for a bunch of tanks. I'm just a bit worried about working with heat tape lol

I think you people brainwashed me into wanting more
Ah, our job is done! Another one turned to the darkside...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding problem, not eating, snake wont eat