CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New to snakes, from Michigan.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
machinex
New to snakes, from Michigan.

Hello all, my name is Brian.

I just got my first snake and I went with a corn snake due to the ease of care, and the temperament. Got him on Saturday (2/13). Had a 10 gal. setup pretty much ready to go.

Couple questions:
  • His feeding schedule is/was Wednesday. Should I feed him this week or let him settle more?
  • He had one pinky last on 2/10. Today would be 5 days, I was told to feed him weekly, but not sure if/when I should start giving 2? and if I should be going for 5 days instead based on posts here and the Munson method which appears to be the standard around here..
  • Anyone know what type he would be (he was listed as common)?
  • I don't know his age, but he is about 12-15 inches long. Still need to get his actual length and weigh him as well, but didn't want to disturb him much more for the first few days as recommended.

Anyway, here is his current habitat (heat is on left under log area) Still have some vines/flora to add, but I like it so far.:

And this is what he/she looks like:

Been reading a lot here, and glad to have this forum/resource available.

Brian

Old 02-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Very cute! It's generally best to leave them be for a week after you get them before offering food. Just because his previous schedule was Wednesdays doesn't mean you need to stick to that schedule. I would weigh him with a kitchen gram scale the day before you feed him to make sure you're feeding him the right size. Otherwise, you can eyeball the right size - the mouse should be about 1 to 1.5 times as wide as his widest point. If he's eating pinkies, he should be good on a 5 day schedule. Personally, I prefer to feed single prey items, so once my snakes hit about 15 grams, I move them up to peach fuzzies, which are a nice in between size from pinkies to fuzzies.

And he looks like he's an anery.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #3
Weiveismart
This place of residence is really perfect

Old 01-20-2022, 04:19 AM   #4
ValerMore
I suggest you ask your vet questions. As far as I know, snakes do not need any special care, attention, or food. Learn the conditions of a snake in advance. Buy the snake from trusted breeders, who know a lot about these reptiles and will help you with advice. Also, you should well prepare the place where the snake will live - a terrarium or a cage. Remember that snakes are living creatures. They can also be sick. It is always expensive to treat any animal: appointment at the veterinary clinic, tests, treatment, medicines, and surgery. I suggest you read more information about snakes.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #5
Frank Pinello
Hey valermore- that post you replied to is almost a year old.
Also -dude - life is not perfect. People are not perfect. A little too late for the person you replied to to be overly cautious when purchasing a corn snake. The new buyer wants to Do the right thing for the snake. Your response sucks and my have made the buyer paranoid and regretful. Chill out!
There are more tactful ways to get your point across without showing your a total ass.
This forum is a good place to ask those types of question and most of the people on this forum are super knowledgeable, friendly and considerate.
I guess your too good to have ever bought anything on an impulse.
C’mon man.
Sorry everyone else but that rubbed me the wrong way and just had to vent.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #6
Frank Pinello
Maybe I need to chill out too. Going to grab myself a beer. It’s been a long week.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #7
SnakeCreations
Cheers Frank!

I felt the response was odd too and quite frankly (snicker) with the fact that he's only posted the one post AND there is a link, I suspect he's a spammer. Sigh

<grabs a glass of wine>

Happy Friday everyone!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google