CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Corn snake owners not into making fake rocks?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #41
Nanci
The best was when your parents got a new refrigerator!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #42
Daniel
fake rocks

So how do you make fake rocks?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #44
wretchedprocess
Well, I made a fake tree last week for my Chinese Green Snake, which was kind of fun. I don't think he'd be much into rocks, though. In fact, I see myself as much more likely to make climbing objects than lounging objects for my beasties in the future. Maybe it's just a snake/lizard thing? I mean, they'd hardly *use* the rocks!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #45
EsotericForest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
So how do you make fake rocks?
http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/

Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #46
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamora View Post
My husband insisted on having one HUGE display tank for our first snake. We worked very hard to convert a 100 gal saltwater aquarium into a suitable habitat for a snake. I'll have to post pictures of it for you all to see. She has aspen substrate and up until recently, vines and lots of stuff to play with. I have removed everything but her hide and water bowl since she was due to deliver her first litter on Tuesday. (still waiting) We took down our entertainment center to make room for her--she is the main focus in our den!
My husband has done the same thing. Our two oldest have 100 gal tanks and their hatchlings, the five that we kept, have 30 gal tanks. So definitely spoil our snakes past the point of spoiling to pure insanity. But since we have Mom in the spoiling Dad in the family room and the babies in the office, I have their tanks decorated with rocks, vines and plants to make them more of a decoration. However, I have noticed that if I don't put their decorations back in there then they don't move around as much. Now that is probably because they have less to play on instead of caring about what their tank looks like. Mine don't move their decorations around at all so it doesn't bother me to make them pretty.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #47
Jessicat
Oh man, I REALLY wanted to make an enclosure with tons of fake rocks, a fale background made of great stuff, silicone, and cocobark, lots of pieces of wood, a water fall and a pond, and live plants galore for some Poison Dart Frogs.
It turned out to be very expensive. I got about half way there, but didn't really have the know how to set everything up. I ran out of money and was kind of intimidated to proceed.

I still have a ton of nice wood pieces from that endeavor though, that I use in my snake's bins. Mine aren't as elaborate as Nanci's, but hers are the model I'm striving after. I pick up fake plants wherever I can, and I always make sure there is enough cover in the tub. We have to consider what corn snakes need though and what we need. We like an aesthetically pleasing enclosure that makes us feel "good" about keeping snakes captive. Really, there's nothing natural about keeping snakes captive anyway, and I've noticed that the hides snakes seem to feel the most comfortable in are the "unsightly" cheap ones anyway.

Also, I'm not sure what the curing time is for silicone, but Don Soderburg warns against it in his book. Because we use heat for our snakes the silicone (or whatever else you're using) heats up as well and is more likely to emit chemicals. He recommends a curing time of at least twice as long as is recommended on the box.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #48
xreinx
jessiecat use the link farther up, its Fun! I am in the midde of a major project using that one link, (a Hot knife Works wonders with that white foam)

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/

anyway, When I get angry, I drill a hole, and insert a new water hose or throw more grout at the walls. (be sure to put down a lot of plastic, it gets Messy!) Huge huge terrarium project. 6 feet tall to be exact, ill get pictures up someday, to show everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google