CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

breeding to halt

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
kitten0304
breeding to halt

ok so I put Charlie and Athena together Thursday and they went to business I have attempted to place them together again each day since but they are not interested in each other anymore what happened? Is there anymore i can do to help them feel like doing it again...help please

Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
rosewood
IMO, it is best to give the male at least a 3 day rest period in between each mating session. This gets him back in the mood and allows his store of "little swimmers" to reach more affective levels. I usually go five days between each mating session before putting them back together.
But that's just me, made sense when I heard it so I follow it haha. There are lots of breeders out there who just keep the snakes together allowing them to breed as often or as little as they please and others who do what you are and reintroduce the snakes every day for a week long period.
Sometimes all it takes is one lock to knock up the ol' girl. The first time I ever bred Sunny I put her in with a male only one time and it was right after her post brumation shed. I ended up with 21 eggs from her 18 of which hatched. So if you can only get them to mate the one time and you saw the "sloppy left overs" you could still end up with a bunch of good eggs.
The only other thing I can think of would be that you actually have two males? Sometimes males will lock with other males the first time they go in with one another for whatever reason. After that they either ignore each other or one, if not both, with try to search for a way to get as far away from the other as possible.
Hope that helps!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
chris68
Quote:
Is there anymore i can do to help them feel like doing it again...
Priceless

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
kitten0304
rosewood: ya they hooked up for like 20 minutes, both are proven before so there sexed correctly, shes starting to look thickened in the middle so maybe its good....

chris68:
ok i admit that was funny lol

Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
carnivorouszoo
I have the same thing going on only (shame on me) I did not wait for her to shed, even though I knew she was due to shed soon and now I can only try putting them together now and then and hope. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google