CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Making Hides from Stuff Around the House

Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Remmie
Question Making Hides from Stuff Around the House

I have a long cylinder tin tube that used to house tea bags but I thought it might make a nice hide for a hatchling, minus the lid, left on its side on top of Aspen. My concern is that the brushed tin on the inside is cool to the touch. Would it be too cool for the baby snake or might it work well on the cool side of the viv (not the part above the UH)?

I also have an empty washed out Eclipse gum BigE Pak I'm going to lay on its side as well as an empty Alka Seltzer package that has two "compartments" that used to house individually wrapped day/night meds.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
DollysMom
I'm not so sure about the metal. There are many unknowns and even may be some lead solder especially if it is imported. Small cardboard boxes, on the other hand, sound great. Best wishes!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Rigby & Marcy
My snakes have always seemed to prefer dark hides with some weight to them. None of them have liked cardboard boxes or light plastic, although currently the only hide that Timmy (~90g yearling) will use is a paper towel tube which he folds himself back and forth 3 times to fit in.

To me, the most important feature of a hide is being able to get the snake out of it easily when you need to.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Remmie
Whelp, she's been here for a few days and the tin is officially her favorite hang out. She goes all the way to the back, past the aspen, where nobody could ever find her and I know this because I couldn't find her at first, lol. And since she's new here and we're giving her lots of privacy while she acclimates, we just tiptoed over to the enclosure and caught her slithering up the side of the viv. She sensed us there, lifted her head, and proceeded to move back down and around and right back into her tea tin.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
smigon
Toothpaste boxes, toilet paper tubes, band-aid boxes - all favorites in my house. Your bathroom closet is full of different size boxes and all disposable.

I agree with Dollysmom on the metal, I would exchange it for something disposable.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Zach B
I just saw a thing a thing where somebody on this same page took a dog toy and made a jungle gym kind of toy out of it. If you were to stitch some cloth to something like that and leave a hole open I could something like that being a great hide for a smaller snake

Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
IowaPrairieWoman
I cut up boxes ... Cliff Bar boxes make a med size nicely. Just cut the front off. I buy boxed wine ( so sue me lol ). Those are great for most adults, the little flip up lid hole for the spout is a ready made entrance. Upside down and you're ready to go. Just cut to about the right size. I like these because if they get dirty, just throw them out and start over.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google