CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

lost your snake !!!!! this is how to make a trap

Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
bigbull
lost your snake !!!!! this is how to make a trap

Anyone who's ever lost a snake will know how stressful it can be trying to search the house for it! Especially small snakes. There are serveral 'methods' of finding your snake and here I am going to show you how to make a very simple snake trap. Its cheap, easy, and safe to use and I know people that have found a snake using this trap before.

Firstly, wash out an empty bottle and cut the top off.

Then, unscrew the lid and make a chute out of a bit of plastic bag. Tape this to the neck of the bottle.

This chute will allow a snake to go into the bottle but then the plastic will drape over the opening behind the snake so that it can't get back out.

Once you have done this you then need to invert the top of the bottle and secure it into the bottom of the bottle to make a chamber in which the snake will get caught.

The snake can get into the bottle very easily as the end has a large opening which narrows. It cannot however, get back out!

Now all you need to do is put the snakes favourite food in the trap(s) and leave them around the house! Making small holes in the bottle will allow for the scent to escape and attract your hungry snake!

I hope this is of some help to anyone who looses a snake!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
alan
I like the addition of the "chute", first I've seen it. Was that your idea?
Here's a good one with tupperware recently posted by hoho19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoho19 View Post
Modify one of your containers. Open up the lid and tape a small plastic square over the hole in the side. Tape just the top edge, kinda like a doggie door flap. Make sure you can poke your finger from the outside to the inside, but you can't poke your finger from the inside to the outside. This will trap your snake inside. Then thaw a mouse that you would feed and place it in that container. Leave it near a wall in a warm location.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
bigbull
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
I like the addition of the "chute", first I've seen it. Was that your idea?
Here's agood one with tupperware recently posted by hoho19
no it was not my idea i have asked if i can cross post from another site which the op said it was ok to use it on another sie

but the person that did think it up have cought meny snake usin this method and it works very very well

Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
bigbull
http://www.hammerreptiles.co.uk/

this is the op website and i got it off RFUK as i go on there to post about my burms and anaconda

Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
Kodsferty
I think thatthis information isthe best.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
kathylove
Great idea!

I would also suggest that when you place it, remember that snakes tend to cruise the perimeter of the room (or cage). So place it along a wall, and wedge something (paper, plastic, whatever) between the wall and the curved area leading into the trap. Snakes tend to follow a wall or fence, and will usually deviate only when something is in their path. But if they can keep following the wall unobstructed, they may just go under the trap.

If you raise rodents (or have a local friend who does), you can just put some dirty shavings into the trap as bait. Then you won't have to worry about a rotting thawed mouse that has to be removed every day.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Emhaley
Thank so much for sharing this. My grandson snake got out three days ago. I made several of these and put them where we thought she might be. The day after we put them out we caught her. Just wanted to say thanks sooo much for sharing this. I went to the pet store and got used bedding from rat cages they were cleaning. Placed a little in the bottle worked like a charm. Thanks again

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape