CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Pondering 'sweet corns'.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Shiari
If I get that lucky, for snakes that seek out the contact, that will definitely influence whether they get kept or not. Right now, of my adults, the ones that come out when I go to handle them are all just hoping for food. When they realise I have no mouse, they all slither right back. XD

Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Nanci
I have many snakes that come out either of their own accord or if I invite them!

I like this quote from Sean Niland, in his section on hybridization, speaking on the domestication of cornsnakes:

"At some point, the domestication of captive reptiles is going to be accepted as fact. There are already more known morphs of cornsnake available than there are for the parakeet (which is already considered domesticated by most states), With many agencies, evidence of hybridization plays a role in the definition of domestication and with current trends in legislation outlawing the keeping of wildlife, declaring our little herp friends as domestic animals may play a key role in preserving our ability to keep these animals."

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Jessicat
This is a very interesting idea! One thing I'm curious about.. are you going to handle all of the hatchlings the same amount? It seems like even unconscious favorites that get handled more might have some kind of advantage. In order for the experiment to work best it seems like having human interaction be one of the controlled variable is essential.

Does that make sense?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Shiari
The 'handling' will be confined to the checking for kinks once a month, and removal from viv to feeding tub, and back again.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
Join or Boop
Any updates on this project? sorry if this is a noobish way to ask. I'm not used to forums like this.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #16
Shiari
I had a couple bad fertility years and then had to downsize quite a bit and so basically gave up on it. It would have been nice if I'd had the space/time/health for it as it would have been very fun to do.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
hypnoctopus
Oh, that's unfortunate. I hope you'll be able to pick it back up sometime.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google