CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding Questions

Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Dexterune
Breeding Questions

Hi
I had a question about breeding. My 2 corns locked today. Everything went well and they stayed locked for about 30 minutes. There was some semen left over on the bottom of the tub that was yellowish. I read that is normal. My question is when should they mate again and how often. Should I feed them (today is both their feed day)? Or wait? Both eat FT adult mice every 14 day. My female is 300 grams, my male is 310 grams. I also read that the female should get supplemental calcium on feed.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Dragonling
Your female should be eating quite a bit more often, especially if she is just barely 300g. My girls are eating every 4-6 days during the breeding season, and typically eat once weekly outside of that while the males stay on a 10-14 day schedule.

You can pair them multiple times, and many breeders do, but if he's fertile one will do it. I have aimed for two locks per female this year just because I'm working with several first timers.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Dexterune
Thanks for your response Dragonling. I will up her feed. Do you feed smaller size and multiple feedings? My male had no hesitation to do his thing and she was very receptive. This was my first time snake breeding so bare with my novice questions. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
HerpsOfNM
You can up her to 1 adult mouse once per week or as Dragonling mentioned, increase during breeding (=pairing, ovulation, and egg-laying). I'd also up her feeding temporarily after she lays eggs. You can drop down in prey size during this time, but increase frequency -- the idea is to let her recover lost body/nutrional resources from egg development and laying, but not blast her kidneys, liver, and other internal organs post egg-laying recovery. During pairing, ovulation, and up to egg-laying I'll try to feed twice a week, alternating between jumbo and regular adult mice for my female snakes. Males pretty much stay at once per week. If females seem hesitant with that feed load, I may drop back to once a week jumbo mouse ot twice a week regular adult mice.

You'll have to play around to figure what works best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google