CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Corn snake owners not into making fake rocks?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
azhketh
Bah, meant to add one more thing..

It seems (to me) that geckos would benefit more from a well decorated tank since they tend to be much more active than snakes. My two geckos live in planted tanks.

Although, if I get a carpet python, it'll have a regular display type tank since full grown it would be too big for a rack.

If I had the space and money, I'd get my snakes special tanks with sliding glass fronts, but that's just not possible at the moment.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
wretchedprocess
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericForest View Post
Gecko people seem to be more into the entire overall "display" if you will from what I've seen. But they have to clean the stuff too...so why does it make it worth it to them? Ah, now the question is, does a certain personality type tend more toward keeping snakes, while another tends more towards geckos? Perhaps I'm thinking about this a little too hard .
Maybe so, but if you're thinking too hard about it, certainly I have too. I have no interest in geckos myself-- I seem to be pretty much entirely a Snake Person. And according to some people I've spoken to, there are certain personality traits associated with Iguana People and Turtle People, not unlike the associations we have with Cat People and Dog People and Ferret People. Obviously any of those associations may be inaccurate for a given individual, but there is something to at least some forms of species-clustering. Reptile people are weird, I guess, and my husband says that reptile girls are hot. (He discovered this at our first show. I was busy looking at the reptiles, so I don't know.) I don't know what else my Snake Person status says, much less what my I-love-corns-most status might say to people who have had time to develop these associations. But I do wonder.

Actually, the bin thing is part of what curbs my snake-acquisition fantasies, though. I like to spoil my pets, and I like to *see* my pets. I can no longer imagine keeping a snake who doesn't get a fake vine to climb in. I didn't do much decorating, though. I'm very aesthetically oriented, and I work with my hands all the time. But somehow it doesn't really occur to me to get too fancy with the snake cages. It probably wouldn't fit in there with all the driftwood and hides anyway. In truth, I think this is the second place I've ever lived where I've actually gotten around to putting pictures up on the walls.

Though OH MAN, if I were as awesome at it as Diamondlil, I would DEFINITELY decorate! Can you make a cage for me too, Janine?

Anyway, I can't help but feel that my little slithers would like real rocks better than fake ones. It just seems like it would be a nicer texture. Then again, I'm a silversmith-- I like rocks.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #13
whoty
I'm in the process of converting a cabinet type thing into a viv for one of my corns. I plan on doing the whole fake rock thing as well. I don't have a lot of snakes either. So,i can afford to have them living in nice big mansions. lol

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
EsotericForest
Well the main benefit of making fake rocks is being about to make a hide out of them, or making an entire background with them...something that you couldn't do with real rocks because they'd be far to heavy. Oh...and just to confirm it for you...girls who like reptiles are hot

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
wstphal
I would LOVE to have time to make fake rocks & stuff. I love all that crafty stuff but I have no time & I'd rather handle a snake than make stuff for one!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
EsotericForest
See I like to handle snakes, but I'm more of a visual person so I'm alright with having types of reptiles that don't care much for being handled. Then I can focus on the visual aspect of the vivarium.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
Cattsy
So the question begs to be asked what do you make fake rock out of??

Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
Caryl
I like to look at a well-decorated viv as much as anybody else. Once my snakes are past the tiny baby phase they get fake plants, wood and/or rocks, in addition to the ever-popular cardboard tubes and boxes. I haven't a clue about the personalities of gecko keepers as opposed to snake keepers. I just love my corn snakes.

There are several threads in the DIY section about some VERY nice creatively home made hides. They are well worth browsing through, even if one isn't crafty enough or hasn't the time at the moment to make them oneself.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
marshaelaine
I love crested geckos, they are so cute. your viv is really neat. I only have 13 snakes, so they each live in a 20 gallon tank with hides and vines and plants and of course their water dish. the bigger snakes always seem to mess up their plants and vines. I could understand someone with lots of snakes using tubs. It does take quite a while to clean and redo my snake tanks every 5 to 6 days. but I enjoy it a lot. I love my snakes.
Marsha

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
EsotericForest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattsy View Post
So the question begs to be asked what do you make fake rock out of??
Carved out of polystyrene, covered in several layers of grout, painted, and sealed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google