CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Waiting on eggs, taking too long?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Airidies
Waiting on eggs, taking too long?

Well i bred Butters(M) and Popcorn(F) my butter het stripe in Jan 25, 28, 29, and Feb 5... And she still hasn't shed. I was wondering if that's normal?

He also bred with Milksnake, my Amel het bloodred corn snake on the 3rd and 6th and she hasn't shed either.

I really happy my boy did so well lol. I though he might not bred since he had been put in hibernation last year when he bred with popcorn for the first time(they weren't mine at the time) but he was all over it the first time she went in.

I guess i'm wondering if i need to put them together again or have the girls just not ovulated yet?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
rosewood
I have had Sunny lay eggs without having a pre-laying shed before. It really caught me off guard the first time it happened to say the least. She also never sheds before she lays her second clutch. That all being said she is a VERY big girl and half the time I cant tell if shes gravid or not, perhaps its more out of not needing to shed and make extra space because she doesnt expand that much, and you would never guess there was 27 eggs in there last year lol. I just go off of her behavioral cues, searching frantically for a place to lay her eggs, not eating a few days before she lays, etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Airidies
Oh okay! I didn't know they would do that. Well Milksnake is a big girl almost 500grams while Popcorn is a little smaller at almost 400(but she's older) they are being fed one mouse every 5 days.

So should i go ahead and put a lay box in with them just in case?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
rosewood
Couldnt hurt but its when they start refusing food that you want to make sure there is one in there for sure, thats when I put Sunny's in. Sunny is 649grams :P and she is only 4 meals out of brumation hehehe.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
carnivorouszoo
Remember also that not all will stop eating, last year my girl ate up to I think it was 4 days before she laid, that was her last meal then she laid her eggs for me

Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
garweft
The days they lock up have nothing to do with when they will lay. The countdown starts with ovulation, then a post ovulation shed, and typically a prelay shed 7-10 days or so before laying.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Airidies
I know if had just expected them to have shed by now... lol I'm starting to wonder if because i didn't brumate the Butter corn maybe that's why she hasn't ovulated? She had been brumated last season.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
Airidies
Well both girls refused meals last feeding, first time ever from these two and are now both in shed ^-^ Guess i started worrying for nothing.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
carnivorouszoo
Sounds good, keep us posted!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Airidies
Popcorn shed this morning ^-^ I put her lay box in the tank with her and she's been in it all day. Is that okay?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
pre-egg laying