CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Waiting on eggs, taking too long?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
garweft
Don't get to anxious, that may just have been her post ovulation shed. If so your still a good month or so away from eggs. They shed twice between ovulation and laying. So in about a month she'll likely shed again and then lay 7-10 days after that.

You can leave the lay box in the whole time if you like. Just make sure to mist it occasionally to keep the substrate slightly moist.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
Don't get to anxious, that may just have been her post ovulation shed. If so your still a good month or so away from eggs. They shed twice between ovulation and laying. So in about a month she'll likely shed again and then lay 7-10 days after that.

You can leave the lay box in the whole time if you like. Just make sure to mist it occasionally to keep the substrate slightly moist.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. Are you sure you don't mean the post brumation shed? It is generally after this first shed of the season that a female will be receptive to breed. But I've very rarely had a female shed twice after puting her with a male. Usually going off food and going into shed is a pretty good sign eggs are coming. There will be the one (prelay) shed and then a post lay one.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Nanci
And if that is her pre-lay shed, you can expect eggs in roughly a week, but as soon as right now! Does she have a lay box? Have you taken away her big water bowl and replaced it with a small one she can't get into (and lay eggs in)?

Some people put the pair back together one time right after the pre-lay shed, just to check. If she refuses, she is most likely gravid.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
garweft
Yeah, I've been on too many BP sites lately.

I did mean the post brumation, or I guess pre-ovulation shed. Trying to figure a way to say that she might not be laying in a few days if her timing on everything was off. I was going to go into palpating for eggs but figured it's better not to get her into all that since it's not really necessary.

The OP made it sound like they didn't brumate so was trying to figure a way to say that they might not be where they think they are.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Nanci
But if the OP saw them mate, four times...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
carnivorouszoo
I don't brumate and I go by the same signs Nancy talks about. Iput the pair together usually just before or just after a shed, next shed should be prelay shed then see eggs, soon after is post lay shed. At least that is what I understand the cycle to roughly be. With my anery type girl I paired her the day she shed and then about 5 days later, they mated both times. Now her back end has dropped so she looks triangular instead of like a loaf of bread. I'm watching for her to stop eating, she is only taking one pink each feed now down from adult mice. I think she may be blue but I don't want to bother her too much at this point so I haven't looked too closely. My diffused girl (going with that morph for her as the breeder the shop got her from confirmed she is) was bred once and is getting ready to shed soon, but I think I got lucky on her accepting the male before her shed, will put them together again after she sheds and watch how it goes with her.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #17
Airidies
Yeah she has a lay box, she was staying in it a lot when i first put it in with her but now she just goes in every once in a while. I'm spritzing it every other day to keep it moist. It's a clear flat tub plenty big enough for her with moss inside.

She shed in January bred at least 4 times and has shed again. Her back end is some what triangular... but she's been eating an adult mouse every five days...

Should i try to offer her smaller mice? I've been giving her adults but i didn't think about going to fuzzies or even pinks.

Should i try to put her in with Butters(male) again and see what happens?

She had a big deep bowl and now she's has a flat bowl, basically the drain bowl for a small house plant. it's wide but not deep, she cant curl up in it... Does that sound okay or should i go with a small "cat" bowl...

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Nanci
I would see if she will breed with the male. I'd try one time. I myself would not feed her after the pre-lay shed, but if you are going to feed, you should probably feed something very small, like a fuzzy.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
Airidies
okay thanks Nanci!

And thanks for all the help everyone else!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
Airidies
Well she practically dashed out of the tank when i put her with butters... I mean she litaraly got out before i could put the lid on lol. So she's no longer interested if anything :P

I took some pic of her bottom end last night... She's been moving around more lately too, so i guess she's looking for the best place? She's also moved the moss over to one side of the lay box, is that okay? I try to fix it ever chance i get but i don't want to mess with her too much... Any way here's the pictures, most of are her going into the lay box.

Here's one to show off the lay box..

And since i know you don't want to see just her butt and lay box

You can really tell when i'm holding her that there and bumps in her lower end...
I also just noticed in the big pic(last one) how many water spots are there after her tank dried :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
pre-egg laying