CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Bloody "Evidence!" (Warning- Gross Picture)

Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Nanci
Bloody "Evidence!" (Warning- Gross Picture)

This had never happened to any of my snakes before. I was not pleased to find this. It was quite worrying, though I knew in theory it happens sometimes. I examined both snakes and could find nothing apparently wrong with either the male or the female. What to do? Carry on, I guess! I waited the customary three days and put them back together. They hooked up within seconds. All "evidence" was normal in color, free of blood. Whew!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Naagas
That is scary looking!
I'm glad that there are no apparent problems.
That would scare the pee out of me.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
***Beth***
Oh wow! Hope nothing else happens! Good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
rich333
Just Guessing...

Perhaps an injured hemipene??? Or perhaps an injured female part???
But if you examined each participating partner...and found no injuries....Hmmm....Maybe(And this gets a bit dicey...so young ones please cover your eyes...) he was just to much for her?? Size wise...if that happens in the other animal world?? Just guessing.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Nanci
It would scare the pee out of me if I had never heard of it!! The snakes are about equal size, Rich.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
rich333
Nanci,

Like i said....Just guessing....seems an odd occurence though..

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Crazy Colubrids
That happened to me this year with my snows.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Susan
I get at least one pair a year that does that. I never know which snake it is from and everybody is fine afterward.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Nanci
This pair bred again tonight. So the bloody semen occurred on the second breeding but not on the first, third or fourth.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
Regit
I've had a few bloody evidences, but everyone has come out okay. My worst experience was when one of my males locked with a female and started squirting blood- quite a bit of it, all over the bathtub. He didn't seem at all affected by it, and the female dropped a fertile clutch. He's one of my best breeders this year, just had 19 eggs laid that are his!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google