CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first official breeding season!!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
MysticExotics
My first official breeding season!!

I had two clutches last year, that I did not breed. One was a young female, unk history, ended up gravid, & laid eggs about a week after I got her. One baby survived for a little bit, but later died.
The second clutch was given to me after I helped the owner rehome the parents, 5 out of 10 of those babies hatched (after 105 days of incubating), including Hekate, my hot little Anery Motley. She's the only one I'm keeping.

I bred Mica, Katzen & Kaia this year. Thanks to Tara, who graciously let be borrow her cherished male, Taz, an Okeetee Tessera.
I paired Taz with Mica (Alabama) & Kaia (Miami phase), no witnessed hookups. I paired Katzen (Alabama-daughter to Mica) with Silber (Alabama-son of Mica), in hopes of getting some Alabama babies.

Mica laid one egg on 3/24 & 15 more on 3/25. I lost one of those a couple weeks ago, but the rest look really good. I can see really big veins in the eggs, & they're growing huge!
Katzen laid a series of slugs, over a few days, & laid one good egg on 3/31. That egg is discolored, but still plump, so I am hoping for one stunning baby out of that "ugly egg".
Both Mica & Katzen turned blue, then laid eggs while blue, & shed a few days after laying their eggs.

I about gave up hope for Kaia (Miami phase) to lay eggs, when I woke up this morning to a beautiful clutch of eggs. I wasn't sure if she was done, so I left her alone for a while, but from what I could see, there was at least 12 eggs.
Before I left for work, I checked on her again, & it appeared that she was done, so I removed the eggs & put them in the incubation box. I counted, twice...18 beautiful eggs!! I candled a few & I can see little veins in the ones I candled, so I will monitor them & keep my fingers crossed that they all remain healthy.
I do not know Kaia's history, only she was sold to me as an '08 Miami Phase, from someone who was wholesaling a bunch of Corns for his dad, who had health problems & was getting out of breeding. I have no idea where she came from. She's the one that got me hooked on Miami phase in the first place.

One more female laid eggs recently, but it was one that I hadn't bred...it was one I thought was a male. A few days ago, when I was checking on everyone, specifically Kaia, hoping for eggs from her, I noticed something odd in Kaels bin....I looked closer...wth! Eggs!!
I will be getting a stunning Miami Motley from Carol in the next couple weeks, & I hope to make some beautiful babies with this pair in the future.
Kaela (formerly "Kael") came from Carol, a beautiful Miami, het Motley.

This first batch of pics are of Mica; (also with Taz, as well as her eggs)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
MysticExotics
This next batch of pics are of Katzen, as well as her eggs, & one of Silber, the male I paired her with.
(Her egg is more discolored now, & I know it's not just the moss, but it's still plump, so I will keep it incubating)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Here is Kaia, with Taz,& her eggs.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
MysticExotics
And last but not least, is Kaela (formerly "Kael")
the male turned out to be female, & her slugs...I'm excited for future breeding projects with her!!

*The second & third pics of Kaela were taken by Carol (LBR), I just haven't been able to get pics as good of her, as Carol did.)

Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
rich333
Congrats on your Breedings/clutchs!!! wow!! is it just me?? or is there alot of 'first timers" this year? (myself included).

Old 05-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
jsschrei
Beautiful pairs you have there. Congrats on the season. I'm a first year corn snake breeder too

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Thank you Rich & Jessica!
Yes, I believe there are a handful of first time breeders. I am glad I had the opportunity to "practice" incubating, with 2 clutches last year, & I really enjoyed being able to do my own breeding this year.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
Lobovasco
Congrats! Im also having my first run this year and look forward to see what comes out!
Your Snakes are really good looking!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
MysticExotics
Thank you! Good luck on your breeding this year!!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
MysticExotics
I'm on day 49 & 50 on Mica's clutch, day 45 on Katzen's clutch, & day 9 on Kaia's clutch.
Katzens egg has dented, & so has one of Mica's eggs, in one of the eggs, so hopefully soon!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google