CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DYI Hides.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
mini4x
I was thinking these..

http://www.amazon.com/10-Mini-Clay-P...ef=pd_sim_ac_1

Wonder what size the hole is...

Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
schnebbles
I made these last night using Crayola air dry clay - from Target 5# was $9. If you use this stuff, you might want to buy wax paper to roll it with. I tried it on the counter which was disaster, just had to peel it all up with a knife, but then I used foil which wasn't too bad but wax paper would be perfect. I made 6 and I probably have about enough clay to make another 6 or more, but I don't want them all so small and I'm trying to figure out a way to make larger ones. I didn't have a rolling pin so I used a can of air freshener, lol!

I'm going to paint them with texture paint which will hide any imperfections - I have 2 cans of different colors and those run about $8/can. I think once I get them painted they will look nice. They don't look too bad w/out the paint even.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
mini4x
Not DIY but cheep..

http://www.amazon.com/CocoHut-Reptil...1028509&sr=8-1

(i've bought like 15 of these already)

Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
schnebbles
I have several of those too, they are 2.98 at my Pet Supplies Plus. The snakes love them! I kind of modeled the ones I made after the size of the coconut ones. so 6 hides x $3 = $18. I made 6 for that plus I can make at least 6 more. I guess it depends how many you need. If I didn't need lots, I'd have bought them.

I have 24x24 cages coming and for my little ones, I want lots of hides in those large cages, I'll need minimum of 2 anyways so this is cheaper plus everything won't be identical.

I'll post pics when I paint mine which will probably be tomorrow because they have to dry a minimum of 24 hours. I should go make some more so I can paint all at once tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
mini4x
I also use TP tubes.. I glue a few of them together..

I'll take a pic...

Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
schnebbles
I'm weird, I don't like plain stuff like that. I tried it though at first but they didn't use them.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Stefanie
If you're looking for ideas on how to stabilize a hide larger than these little ones, try rolling a layer of wire mesh into the clay. Make sure all the pointy edges are covered by clay = it stabilizes nicely and is invisible (I used it between two layers of very thinnly rolled clay) you can bend it whichever way you want to and it won't collapse while drying. You can get the mesh in any crafting store =)

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
schnebbles
ah, mesh. I don't have any but could get some. Like screen, that would be perfect.
Brilliant, thank you!

mini4x - the holes on the coconut hides are about 1-1/2 tall and 1-1/4 wide - that's going by guessing since I didn't want to take the hide out. My 1 year old snake would easily fit through it although she can't fit in it.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
beautifullywild77
I just went to the dollar store and got little plastic bowls that came in a 3pk for a dollar. I cut out lil holes and boom done! My lil guys love them! They are bright green so it adds color to their cages!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
PAIN
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I made these last night using Crayola air dry clay - from Target 5# was $9. If you use this stuff, you might want to buy wax paper to roll it with. I tried it on the counter which was disaster, just had to peel it all up with a knife, but then I used foil which wasn't too bad but wax paper would be perfect. I made 6 and I probably have about enough clay to make another 6 or more, but I don't want them all so small and I'm trying to figure out a way to make larger ones. I didn't have a rolling pin so I used a can of air freshener, lol!

I'm going to paint them with texture paint which will hide any imperfections - I have 2 cans of different colors and those run about $8/can. I think once I get them painted they will look nice. They don't look too bad w/out the paint even.

two thumps way up for this, way to be creative and low cost. I think I am gonna give it a whirl

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google