CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Who Knew? Getting my craft on!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
EmbersMom
Talking Who Knew? Getting my craft on!

I had no idea corn snake ownership came with crafting opportunities! Getting ready to make/bake corn snake hides. Getting my CRAFT ON TONIGHT! WOOT! Making one for Ember and two for Flame.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Dakota314
Sounds like fun! I can't even tell you how many things I've built for my snakes. It keeps boredness away Be sure to post finished pics!

Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
beautifullywild77
Awesome... you are going to have to share your rescipe I use bowls from the dollar tree for my little guys.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
EmbersMom
I am following this thread here. I got all the supplies enough for 5-6 hides (flour and salt) for $3. And the spray paint should do way more than that, as it covers 70 - 80 square feet. The Clear Matte Finish (water proofer) was $4 and the Instant Stone was $8 at WMT. Will post pics when finished.

I met your hubby at Clark's. He is great. They had the Clips for my cage that nobody else had. And their mice are cheaper. We are so shopping there from now on. So much better than the chain stores.................hope to meet you soon, too!

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/encl...ade-hides.html

Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
beautifullywild77
Yea, he told me that I had just missed you. I pulled up to pick him. I saw you leaving but didnt know it was you until hubby came out. lol

Those looked like so much fun to make. I might have to looking to them.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
EmbersMom
I saw someone sitting in a SUV next to my van. Was that you? Funny!

Brenley got to hold the baby Candy Cane. IT was beyond ADORABLE. I just wanted to take it home.....................THEY ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hides are baking. I am baking them like crazy, for hours and hours. Slow and low......will spray and dry tomorrow. You have to waterproof, dry, instant stone, dry, waterproof again over the instant stone (so you can wash them), dry....................and then you can use. So I doubt they will be in use before tomorrow night. I want them to air out. Don't want our snakey snakeys to be breathing those fumes. So I am going to let them air out outside all day tomorrow. The lady's on the thread I posted are much neater and prettier - as in her edges and her smoothness - but she works with polymer clay, so she is crafty with molding. Mine are more lumpy and uneven and the edges a bit rough, maybe when they are sprayed they might have a more rocky look to 'em? I don't think they will suffer in functionality, however.

Another trick I read somewhere.....was Dollar Tree bowls or the like, and then covered with camo duct tape. Sounds fun, too!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
EmbersMom
Note: I tried to use a round glass bowl as a mold for a homemade hide, but the weight of the dough slid down the bowl and got too thin on top, no matter how much I tried to slide it back up. So I switched to the square one like she used. I also thought it has the added benefit of being a flat surface on top for them to use as a warming rock if they like! So the 2 for Flame (about 3 feet) are from loaf pans and the one for Ember (over 5 feet) is from a 8X8 brownie type pan.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
EmbersMom
OMG! If you do this, bake bake bake bake bake and bake some more! My dough is not even 1/2 inch thick, and the first one took 6-7 hours to get totally hard at 250. I turned up to 275 and it is still taking forever. OMG! I don't know if it is because we are a mile high here in Albuquerque or what........but it is taking forever. You might have better luck at sea level or whatever. Yikes. But I am sure it will be worth it when finished!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
EmbersMom
The first one fully baked and out of the oven, cooled, ready for spray paint. I swear, this one is not that thick and took 5-6 hours to fully bake!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
EmbersMom
Here is the other two hides finally finished baking. One cracked when I removed it from the mold (the loaf pan) and I had some leftover dough I had put in a ziplock in the fridge, so I patched it on the outside (the harder baked side) and finished cooking it. The 8X8 size pan had some thin corners and I tried to thicken those up with some patches. Should blend in OK once covered with the Instant Stone:

And here is the first one, covered with the Instant Stone:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google