CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Putting aquarium on side for front access?

Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Daven
Putting aquarium on side for front access?

Sorry if this isn't the correct place for this. But I have a 24x12x17" 20 gallon tank for my new corn snake that I was wondering if I could just rotate it to sit on its side instead. My thoughts are that I could then have a front opening setup so I'm not coming from above every time (the tank is pretty small compared to the height so it's inevitable this way), and also gain a little extra floor space as an added bonus. I would have a UTH moved to the new bottom of course. I have a metal screen top for it that is hinged in the middle and locked tight with clips. So it would act as a door when needed.

Can anyone see any real issues for this? Maybe the metal lid being on the side could hurt the snake? I can't see any real downsides and if that is the case, im surprised to not see it done already. Although I'm new to the snake world anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
if the screen is on top, it's not likely the snake will rub against it and snag his scales. If the screen is rotated to the side, it's highly likely he will. It might not make a difference. But I personally don't think I'd do it.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
jagodzinski
That's an interesting idea - but I would have a couple of concerns. First of all, what Karl_Mcknight said, your snake could get scratched or rubbed on the scales. Second of all, depending on how old your snake is, how tightly fitting your top is, escapes could be easier. Gravity is no longer helping to keep everything secure. Also, the zone where escape is possible (the mesh lid) would be much closer to your snake. But if your top is really snug and escape-proof, I guess you would be okay. But because of the rubbing alone I personally would avoid this.

Personally, I would think about getting a larger viv if the floor space is an issue and as for approaching from the top, you can try to go in on the side of your snake, thinking more about "scooping" than "plucking from the sky".

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
HerpsOfNM
check out dendroboard.com...

You could do a modified "vertical conversion" opening tank. You may have to source the materials yourself (not sure where to start for that in the great white north). This is doable, just ventilation will be your hindrance

Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Daven
Thanks guys. I figured the lid might be an issue. I will be building a bigger viv later on once it grows a bit, so I'll just wait until then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
backafter30
Some snakes will rub their nose scales raw on screening, trying to get out. Putting it down low makes it more accessible. Some snakes don't have this tendency, and it would then not be an issue. If you're using some kind of substrate, you could make a dam across the new bottom so it didn't spill out when you opened the tank, or get caught in the screening. Also, some UTHs can be damaged when removed from glass, so that they do not work anymore, and it is possible that the screen top may not give you as clear a view inside as the glass front did. Check for escape issues, but other than that, sure you can do this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google