CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Early pre-breeding shed?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
canicemok
Early pre-breeding shed?

Hello all. I am planning to breed my corns. I didn't let them brumate. My female corn have had her last shed on 15/10, which is exactly a month ago. However, her colour is becoming very dull today and I think she is about to shed again. I never heard of an adult will shed so frequently and also I only fed 2-3 mice to her this month. My girl is 3 years old and 420gram.

So from all your experience, will this be a pre-breeding shed? If this is the case, should I start introducing male corns to her after the shedding? Thank you.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Dragonling
I don't think any harm can come from introducing males early. You don't want to miss that window. She will clearly show disinterest if she's not ready, so I would only keep them together 15 mins at a time and only once or twice a week until she is actually in the mood. I've been testing my largest female watching for receptivity. One of my males for this year (cayenne fire) is young and inexperienced, and while I've been getting minor interest from my peach boy in ALL my girls, the cayenne is oblivious still. I think because the peach male is more experienced he would chase the girls halfheartedly just about any time of year.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:28 AM   #3
canicemok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I don't think any harm can come from introducing males early. You don't want to miss that window. She will clearly show disinterest if she's not ready, so I would only keep them together 15 mins at a time and only once or twice a week until she is actually in the mood. I've been testing my largest female watching for receptivity. One of my males for this year (cayenne fire) is young and inexperienced, and while I've been getting minor interest from my peach boy in ALL my girls, the cayenne is oblivious still. I think because the peach male is more experienced he would chase the girls halfheartedly just about any time of year.
Thank you! Do you think it is a pre-breeding shed? I didn't feed much and it is only one month from her last shed. Another thing is that my Coral Snow male start refusing food today. I hope he is ready for breeding. He is 3 years old and only 200gram.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Dragonling
It's probably not, but there are plenty of factors that can probably affect when they go into season when not brumated. I've even heard some breeders claim that males chasing females can trigger them into it? Not sure how much truth there could be to that though. Your male could be sensing that it's time to stop eating for the winter. Watch for restless, high activity especially from him. Could be a sign he's ready, or better yet that he senses one of your girls is ready.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:37 AM   #5
canicemok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
It's probably not, but there are plenty of factors that can probably affect when they go into season when not brumated. I've even heard some breeders claim that males chasing females can trigger them into it? Not sure how much truth there could be to that though. Your male could be sensing that it's time to stop eating for the winter. Watch for restless, high activity especially from him. Could be a sign he's ready, or better yet that he senses one of your girls is ready.
Thank you! I started introducing the male into the female cage once a week now. The reaction of the female is slightly vibrating her body. After that, the male will try to leave the cage. Is it a typical reaction that a female is not ready for mating?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google