• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gopher x Corn Hybrid

HanneysCorn

Canadian Cornaholic
I recently attended a Reptile Expo in Red Deer Alberta and was shown a sub-adult gopher x corn hybrid male. This was my first experience seeing the results of such a breeding. I was impressed with not only the overall appearance of the snake but also most intrigued by the keeled scaled look.

As our discussion continued about this particular snake he then told me that he himself had produced this snake, and that 4 males hatched from this clutch and I was holding 1 of 3 still remaining. He was unaware of any other breeders here in Canada who had done such a crossing between gopher and corn.

Much to my amazement he then gifted this beautiful snake to me. I was at a loss for words.

I am asking for your assistance here. I know that breeders in the U.S. are much more familiar and advanced with these hybrid crosses. If anyone can provide some direction as to where I could find any references, information, or even someone who has done such a cross, it would be greatly appreciated.

Some questions I have.....Is there an already established name for such a hybrid so I can stop saying gopher x corn? When bred back into corn lines, does the 'keeling effect' remain? Are there established morphs with these hybrids or is this something that can be looked upon as a project.

Just so that it's said up front and I am not misunderstood...this would be a separate project all on its own and I have every intention if any hatchlings are produced to market them as hybrids....gopher x corns.

Here's a pic of "Bentley", Ben for short. He's in shed when the pic was taken and I am eagerly awaiting his new skin.

Ben.jpg

I would love to read more about these hybrids, but searching seems to turn up nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ruth Hanney

The trade name for a cross between a Corn X Bull/Gopher/Pine Snake is a "Turbo Corn." I have seen pics of them a couple of times, but haven't run across much info.

That's a cool looking snake by the way :)

Hi there! That is a beautiful snake. You might want to speak to a member here named Dionythicus. She has a bullsnake/corn cross. She has also been involved in breeding him. I can't remember if she did already, or if she is going to. I personally love that combo and would love to own one someday.

Here I am!

Here's my boy, Dallas. He's a Texas bullsnake/Okeetee cross. I despise the name "turbo corn" and will never use it. I like to call mine what he is, and I like the name "cowboy corn" but that's just my thing, LOL. He is more like a corn in temperment, very mellow. He's heavier bodied and has those fabulous keeled scales. Even his tail looks like the bullsnake tail.

I really like the 50/50 look of him, and yours. I've been hoping to find a female cross, rather than breeding back to corns and losing some of the bullsnake traits. So next year I'm going to try again to breed my male hypo bull (who's a wussy) to a nice classic corn, het snow, and see what happens. The F2 generation ought to make some awesome babies. If the pure bull won't breed to her, then I'll use Dallas and make some 75/25 crosses, keep the girls and breed back to Dallas and hopefully the pure bull. I want to maintain as much of the best of both species in one animal as I can get. The only 75/25 crosses I've seen looked so much like corns, you couldn't tell there was any bullsnake in them.

Maybe we can compare notes as time goes on. My email is

[email protected]

Last edited:
never seen that one before.........that is a "way cool" snake. thanks for posting. matter of fact, both of them are lookers.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. The gold tones on your snake are exactly like one of the brothers. Until Ben sheds, I have no idea just how much yellow is under there.

I too would love to find a female and keep the 'gopher' in the line...the scales, this time, it's the scales, not the colour that have intrigued me. Ben is of breeding size. I was contemplating a hypo corn and an amel corn cross with 2 of my females, just to see if I can lighten and brighten the effect.

So far his temperment has been grand; even tho' he travelled 2500 km across 3 provinces by car and in shed, he still remained passive while we transitioned him to the quarantine room.

From talking to the breeder and now hearing that you too are looking for a female, I'm wondering (and I asked the breeder as well) why only males? He had more than 4 eggs laid, but only these 4 males went on to hatch. Would be interesting to confirm whether or not 'females' do exist from this crossing somewhere 'out there'?

I will keep in touch especially with some breeding ideas I've had. It's always nice to be able to toss some ideas around.

Ruth

I picked him up online from LLL Reptiles, but they won't disclose the breeder and they haven't gotten any more since. Darn! I may try picking up a nice bull female to breed to him for a 75/25 the other way, then breed those back to corns. Can't hurt.

I used to own a gopher corn (I've never heard them called turbo corns). He looked very similar to yours. They are cool snakes. I wish I still had mine. :rolleyes:

Hehe, I can make breed some myself if I want to.... :crazy02: but only with a Dan Diego gopher.... which gopher's is your snake Hanney?

The thing is, though I like the looks of some hybrids very much, I would still feel 'sorry' for the snakes I'd have to pair up to breed some.... Especially if tricks were needed to succesfully pair them up. I'd rather be 'hypocritical' and just buy 2 'turbo's'.... but who knows what I might end up doing in a couple of years :shrugs:

jet corn

just wondering if any one knew if it was possible to cross a cape gopher and a corn snake? someone on kingsnake told me they were jet corns. is this true and if so where can i find some pictures of these?

Cape gophers are extremely closely related to other gophers, and some consider them to be just another subspecies opposed to full species.

One thing to be careful of - I know from personal experience that the baja gopher snakes need different care than their northern cousins. They are not nearly as tolerant of hot weather, and can easily start a cycle of regurgitation if kept as warm as low 80s that can lead to the animals death. They are a mountain snake in the wild, so they like cooler temperatures than the US gophers.

I do not know how that would translate to their offspring if bred with a corn.

But given that the temperature range needed for cape gophers is too cool for corns and the temp range needed for corns is too warm for cape gophers, I really would personally recommend the cross - as the proper temp for the offspring may depend on the individual.

As far as what they are called, haven't a clue. I don't think there are enough of them for any trade name to be considered "established" - so if you do it, use whatever floats your boat.

Personally, the name "jet" corn sounds like it was coined by a 4th grader.

Old thread, I know, bit to both of you with the hybrid Pituophis/corn thingie:

I'm still very short on hybrid images for my Pituophis book. They are out there, but they just don't seem that popular. Would either of you two be interested in allowing me to use one of your images of your snake in the book. Full credit to the photographer, of course. If you are interested, I can email you detailed specs on minimum necessary photo resolution, quality, pose, etc. Thanks!

This goes out to anyone else with Pituophis hybrids, too.
KJ

Wow, those pics are amazing!

I have been planning on doing a cross like this for a year now and I finally have my baby bull snake (found her in the middle of the road getting some sun, just like I had been waiting for).

I just gotta wait 'til the little booger grows up! I will be crossing her with an Abott's Okeetee... unless my little "she" turns into a "he" then I will be crossing him with a Classic, an Abott's Okeetee, and a Caramel. *kinda hoping this happens* ^_^

I am not completely experienced in "popping" but when I carefully tried, nothing came out. I just wish there was a reptile place around that I trusted to handle my snakes. It would take alot of the guess-work out...

I can't believe that he just GAVE you that snake! That's amazing... I'm definitely going to be extra nice to the breeders I talk to at the next reptile expo I go to, haha ^_^.

Very cool thread. I absolutely love Gopher snakes, and to see a cross where kneaded scales are dominate to the corn is just incredible! Im going to have to look deeper into this hybrid.

Here is a pic of my new baby "turbo corn" (there is no real name for the bull snake/ sunglow corn cross)... Check them out and let me know what you think. If you are going to the Northern Berks Reptile Show in Hamburg, PA this weekend I will be carrying them with me... Might even be selling a few. I have one clutch from a bull snake and ghost corn as well.

index.cfm

Back