CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Front Opening Aquariums

Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #51
The Snake Guru
The vents should work as long as there isn't too much play in loovers I think I looked at those once and decided against it bacause I thought (for my tastes anyway) they bent out to easily....I'm kind of security nut though so I tend to over think escape routes.

Yeah you'll be scorring all day if it's 1/4" LOL Jigsaw with a metal blade and water bottle to cool down the blade...works pretty slick.

here's the ones I use at the bottom of this page...I order them from these guys because as you've found no one carries the non-key types: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-latches/=5t1muw

~B~

Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #52
girthta
OK, sorry to be a pest but I have a couple of friends to help with this and a couple more snakes coming in March from the Repticon show .

What size Cam Lock did you use?

This is so great b/c I have a bothersome feline who likes to sit on top of the screened top and it's always making me so nervous.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #53
The Snake Guru
LOL No problem at all. it's the 9/32" Wing-Handle Cam Latch.

~B~

Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #54
Nroc
A question came to mind. Those rivets look large compared the lip width. At its thinnest point, how much plastic surrounds the rivet? I suppose marking the location of these is something that will take a triple check before committing to.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #55
girthta
Well remember that the rivets are actually thinner than what you see b/c there's a lip that goes all the way around. Also Plexiglass is clear so my plan is to drill the holes in the tank lid first then mark the plexiglass and drill those holes (all after everything is cut).

I'm having reservations about cutting the plexi b/c I'm clumsy and scared of power saws.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #56
The Snake Guru
I use 1/8" aluminum rivits in the corners so there is about an 1/8" area around them...more than enough to hold it securely.

Jigjaws aren't too bad....the variable speed ones help because you can slow them down and it doesn't heat the blade up quite as bad.

~B~

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #57
Deb Johnston
This is truly fantastic, Guru! Simple, clean, and very professional looking result!

Seriously living up to the name

Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #58
toad772
Quote:
Originally Posted by girthta View Post
OK, so I have the rivet gun, rivets, plexiglass and hinges.

And questions...

I'm not 100% in love with the industrial look of that vent. Can't I use something more like this: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1&cmRelshp=sim secured with silicone or something? (more rivets?)

Also, the dood at the Home Despot said you can't cut plexiglass with a saw b/c it will split, etc. and recommended this scoring/popping method. But I bought the thick plexi so that's going to take forever. Or is this guy full of crap and I can use a saw? b/c I would rather have my buddy cut it for me.

no one seems to have the cam locks w/o keys (though I do have a couple more stores to try). I'm afraid of locking my babies and losing the keys!
just leave the key in the lock all the time

Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #59
girthta
I will skewer myself every time I walk past. I'm a klutz.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #60
tricksterpup
I gotta say, go with Brad's design, these are really nice setups. I had to get myself some.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google