CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

...sigh! Fat Boy? or Gravid Gal?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
sierraherps
Question ...sigh! Fat Boy? or Gravid Gal?

We have been back and forth on whether Whytsnake is male or female. We don't have any local vets who I would take him to to be probed so we figured we could do it by "Breeding Trials". So he/she has spent time with both our Proven Upper Keys male (They touch and both twitch) And... our recently sheded female stripe (they touch, Whytsnake twitches)

Now... he has refused food for nearly 3 weeks, (he has NEVER refused food in the 4 yrs we have had him) he has been active like most snakes are during "this" season & yet he/she has gotten HUGE in the bottom half of his/her body. He/She actually spent nearly a week sharing a viv with the Keys male about a month ago...Back when we still believed hewas a male. So I am just going to post a pic here I took just now, and ask YOUR opinions on whether I am nuts... Or does this snake look WAY GRAVID?!?! (oh yeah, I tried the Jeff Corwin "Palpating" thing while holding Whytsnake three days ago & keeping in mind I have neved held a gravid snake before, It truly felt like SOMETHING was there, approx every inch or so, my finger would "dip" into him/her just a hair, then another little bump then dip...ect... But as my hubby says.. That doesn't make ANYTHING conclusive... Sooo... I know this is impossible to be for sure... But I welcome ANY opinions and/or comments you could offer...

Thankx in Advance...Mixed Up Mary Ann

Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Sharon
A better picture would help. If she is gravid, her bottom 1/2-1/3 would be swollen, you'd be able to see space between the scales. Feeling bumps sounds like eggs, personally. Now I'll step away and allow the more experienced breeders to have their say lol

Edit: Here is a pic of a gravid corn taken from Bill Love's website

Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
sierraherps
How about this one? I just took it... Sorry about the glare... I tried 4 times and this was the best of the bunch.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
sierraherps
And YEAH!! Big time swollen.. If that snake you just posted is "Really Gravid" Then Whytsnake is as GRAVID as two or three snakes at the same time! LOL

Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Eli173
I'd suggest putting a lid on the next box (with a hole in the lid) so she will feel more hidden and secure in there. Just a suggestion.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Nanci
I just read something Kathy Love wrote about feeling for eggs. Let her crawl, in a relaxed manner, over your hand and into her viv. She says the snake needs to be relaxed for your fingers to dip into her belly- if you just hold her and run her through your hands and try to feel, she could be too tense for you to feel anything.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
sierraherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli173 View Post
I'd suggest putting a lid on the next box (with a hole in the lid) so she will feel more hidden and secure in there. Just a suggestion.
That "next box" I just put in there with warm damp shredded coconut shell, under the heat... JUST IN CASE... she might be looking for somewhere to lay eggs... She has 2 hiding holes in there also... Her fav is a terra cota under the plant dish upside down... (It is also the ONLY thing we have at the moment BIG enough to fit the whole body in! LOL

But thank you...

Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
sierraherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I just read something Kathy Love wrote about feeling for eggs. Let her crawl, in a relaxed manner, over your hand and into her viv. She says the snake needs to be relaxed for your fingers to dip into her belly- if you just hold her and run her through your hands and try to feel, she could be too tense for you to feel anything.
Well THATS awesome! Because that is basically exactly what I did! I just held my hand under her belly and she slippered over it at her own pace... Then she turned around and went the other way over my hand! LOL Up until this last X-mas... Whytsnake was our ONLY, and VERY pampered and loved snake! So we have a special relationship that I have done my best not to let falter just because we have more snakes to care for.

So THANK YOU!! Always good to hear I did something right when I am basically just guessing! LOL

Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
sierraherps
Hey Eli?? Are you suggesting that she would feel better about "Laying her eggs" if she had more privacy? I'm sorry, It just dawned on me that might have been what you meant... and not that you were telling me she needed a hide... You know when I first put that in there... She went RIGHT to it and DUG tunnels through it for about 45 minutes! It was cute as hell to watch, as she plowed the warm wet sustrate from one side to the other and then dug down into it with her nose... Is that behavior indicitive to Gravid females by the way?? I know in the wild they look for "Natural compost" kind of places... Under rotting leaves and such as they generate warmth... OMG!! So that behavior actualy could be another clue to her sex!!! right?? MAN! I wish either "SHE" would lay eggs... or "HE" would show interest in one of our "PROVEN" females!
AAAHHHHRRRRGGG!
LOL

Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
bitsy
Quote:
approx every inch or so, my finger would "dip" into him/her just a hair, then another little bump then dip...ect...
Yep, agree with above. I'd stake good money that those are eggs.

And yes, privacy when laying is usually appreciated. Digging about in a potential laying place is also a classic symptom. She might pop in and out for a few days, but if she's about to lay, she'll eventually settle in it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google