CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #41
DdotSpot
you CAN plug in 2 heaters into it, but you will want to monitor both temps because not all heaters run at the same temp...so temps will not always be the same.

Glad this helped

Old 05-17-2005, 09:04 PM   #42
sircat
hmmm, thanks, I'll see how it goes

Old 06-12-2005, 04:43 AM   #43
Energi2er
That is a good Idea, Im going to build one of those tomorrow.. But I had an Idea, for those of you who have 2 UTHs or a UTH and a Light, all you would have to do is wire a second dimmer control to the other outlet so that you could control both devices seperately.. So basically its like 2 in one box. Im going to try it this way (I have a UTH and a Light). I dont have a camera so I cant post pics. maybe DdotSpot can back me up on this one..

Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #44
DdotSpot
You can certainly separate the two outlets on the receptacle, but you're going to be hard pressed to find room in the 2-gang box for another dimmer

Make sure that if you are separating them that you remove the jumper that connects the 2 hot screws together. Usually you can just use your pliers and work it off.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #45
DdotSpot
And of course all the rewiggerin' you gotta do inside the box If you need instructions on how to set that up, let me know. I've got a similar setup at home where just the top plug is hooked to the dimmer and the bottom one is constant hot(for those of you who don't know 'hot' is terminology used to indicate electricity).

Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #46
Energi2er
Yeah you could wire it that way. I dont need any instructions I understand basic wiring. I was planning on getting a chassis box at radio shack to house the dimmers and outlets. Yeah that would be kind of crammped in the blue box.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #47
Energi2er
I will post pics of my configuration when I get my digital cam.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #48
Energi2er
Ok, I built the dual rheostat version.. and it works SOO Good.. I have a basting lamp on one dimmer, and the uth on another, I can adjust both temperatures cold side on one dimmer, and warm side on another, and watch the thermometers go up or down as I do, Its awsome.. Ill post a wiring diagram if anyone is interested.. Sorry I cant post pics yet, No cam.. and yes this same design will work with any 2 devices lamp/uth lamp/lamp uth/uth..

Old 06-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #49
CAV
Did I read your post correctly??

Do you have a heat source on both side of an enclosure? If so, why?

Old 06-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #50
Energi2er
No, I have a basking lamp on the same side and it is turned off, I control the temp with the uth most of the time. But they are never on at the same time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google