CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

2 New Viv's :)

Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
WHOOPS
Question 2 New Viv's :)

Hay ppl, i have to make 2 new vivs as im moving out to my own place and there just isnt enough space for the viv i have (1 extra long viv converted into 3 separate living spaces .. o and the third is for my dwarf hamster so no worries for a viv for him as hes going back to his old cage) ... ive already done the legwork and degsined both of them .. the one for my milk is 3foot long and 2foot back by 1 1/2 tall and my corns will be 2foot long and 2foot back by 1 1/2 tall .. all the degsines work out so that the corns viv will sit nicely ontop of the milks viv ..

All i really need to know is what is the best wood to use ... i have the 4mm glass for both so its just the wood that i need to buy now

im also going to do some foam work inside both vivs so when its done i will post pics :P

Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
WHOOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOOPS View Post
All i really need to know is what is the best wood to use ...
sorry what i should have said is whats the safest wood and how should i treat it if it needs to be treated ??

Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
mdrews
I used 3/4" melamine for my garter snake. My brother in-law also used it for his viv stack! Cleans up well.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
WHOOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrews View Post
I used 3/4" melamine for my garter snake. My brother in-law also used it for his viv stack! Cleans up well.
thanks ... do you no rough prices ?? as if i have enough money on me i can make a small alteration on my way home to the nearest hardware shop lol ...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
mdrews
I bought a sheet at home depot and had them cut it to my specs...I think when all was said and done it was under $50.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
WHOOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrews View Post
I bought a sheet at home depot and had them cut it to my specs...I think when all was said and done it was under $50.
thanks .. think that works out at like 30euro so i should be fine ..
ye i should be more than fine as as im typing this my grandad is reading this and has just given me an extra 50euro lol so i should be started on the vivs 2moro

thanks for your help

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
l0ck_0ff
bake the wood in the oven as for varnish or whatever weatherproofing it sort-to-say so the wood always stays good i would not treat it with any of that stuff. i know alot of pieces wont fit so you will have trouble with that but at 250 degrees F not C i dont know what you use living in dublin but bake at 250F for 30 mins

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
mdrews
http://www.reptilescanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22944[/url]
let me know if this link works, he has some great ideas. I'd use melamine, he used wood then treated it, it'll be cheaper and you don't have to wait for any kind of treatment. Make sure you caulk all your seems and don't use any anti-fungal caulking. Also I used course thread drywall screws to tie everything in.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
WHOOPS
thanks again .. the wood that i have just bought is a laminate that has been recomended by the guy in the shop who happens to be a reptile keeper also (starnge considance i no) he said that he use's this type for all his viv's and that its compleatly safe, he also gave me a discount and all the screws and non toxic sealent (enough for many many viv's lol) for free .. he is also a breader and told me to drop by in the next few days and he will have a list of the anminals he has :P .. so the moral of that story is find a guy who also owns reptiles lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google