• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Where did everybody go?!

People have been trying to hunt down Wade for about a year now. He's vanished.

We could talk about how much I hate that there's a hurricane coming, Wednesday. Maybe Tuesday night. Headed straight for Rich!

I'm a new guy here. Just got my first Okeetee a week ago. First feeding was last night. I just want to say thank you for all the help I've gotten so far. I'm learning a lot reading the older posts about care and feeding. Don't know if I'll ever get into breeding but I definitely want a second snake.

People have been trying to hunt down Wade for about a year now. He's vanished.

We could talk about how much I hate that there's a hurricane coming, Wednesday. Maybe Tuesday night. Headed straight for Rich!

I was hoping the hurricane would dissipate to just a tropical rainstorm. After Irma I asked on the forum if anyone knew if you were safe, but nobody responded. I hope you guys make it through this one with no damage.

I was hoping the hurricane would dissipate to just a tropical rainstorm. After Irma I asked on the forum if anyone knew if you were safe, but nobody responded. I hope you guys make it through this one with no damage.

Irma was super stressful. I evacuated with ~50 snakes, one tortoise, one pigeon, two dogs. My work made it super stressful by forcing us to divide into two teams, A and B. B was told they would have to report to work after the all clear, to let Team A go home. (In the past, people just volunteered if they wanted to work- it's good money. Then those of us who wanted to stay home easily could.) Well, a tree fell across the road of the place I evacuated to, so I was trapped anyway. I'm still angry about how my work handled the whole thing. Like, I was already worried about if my house was going to be intact. I didn't need the added stress.

I would have sat out Irma but talk of 9 foot storm surges had the family worried. Then the local authorities said mandatory evacuation. I scrambled to combine the snakes in any containers with lids and place them as high in the rooms as possible. I didn't know where we would end up hunkered down for sure, but we did take our two little dogs.

After the storm passed I loaded the corns back into the racks, but noticed I had put a young male lavender and a young male coral ghost together in the same container. Unfortunately, the lavender has a pink background color like the coral ghost, and the coral ghost has a lavender tint to his saddles. So I checked the eyes and found both males looked the same. Then I checked the belly patterns and, you guessed it, both appear the same. I'm waiting for them to mature so hopefully I can tell them apart.

I'm a new guy here. Just got my first Okeetee a week ago. First feeding was last night. I just want to say thank you for all the help I've gotten so far. I'm learning a lot reading the older posts about care and feeding. Don't know if I'll ever get into breeding but I definitely want a second snake.

Okeetee's is the perfect "first" corn. Three babies from this year :grin01:

Attachments

• okeetude.jpg
    okeetude.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 51
  • keeperOkegirl.jpg
    keeperOkegirl.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 52
  • oketotrade.jpg
    oketotrade.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 53
After the storm passed I loaded the corns back into the racks, but noticed I had put a young male lavender and a young male coral ghost together in the same container. Unfortunately, the lavender has a pink background color like the coral ghost, and the coral ghost has a lavender tint to his saddles. So I checked the eyes and found both males looked the same. Then I checked the belly patterns and, you guessed it, both appear the same. I'm waiting for them to mature so hopefully I can tell them apart.

I've been able to tell look-a-likes apart by weight.

I've been able to tell look-a-likes apart by weight.

Do you mean one was older, and hence weighed more? That would have worked, except both males were hatched about the same time, and both weigh about the same now. I am assuming the pink background of the lavender will diminish as he matures.

I really wasn't sure how I would take it when I decided to retire the business, but honestly, it is quite nice not having a bunch of animals dependent on us.

I suppose that was a silly question. After so many years of being responsible for hundreds of snakes, it probably feels good to have some freedom! For my husband and I to go anywhere requires strategic planning for the four dogs, snakes, and rodent colonies.

I could probably be happy without so many pets, if there were enough critters around here to enjoy outside. But it's Michigan weather, and a concrete jungle we live in. :(

Kathy

It's funny but until I started going to the reptile shows I didn't realize how many people kept snakes in your area.

I don't know of many people around here, but we're kind of close-mouthed about the collection. I guess I'm paranoid about getting burglarized if I tell people what I have. Actually, no one, other than a couple family members (and you guys, of course), even know I have snakes.

I don't know if the Taylor reptile expo was around when you were here. We usually go each month, just to look around, and chat with a few people. Snake people are weird! ;)

Kathy

I don't know of many people around here, but we're kind of close-mouthed about the collection. I guess I'm paranoid about getting burglarized if I tell people what I have. Actually, no one, other than a couple family members (and you guys, of course), even know I have snakes.

I don't know if the Taylor reptile expo was around when you were here. We usually go each month, just to look around, and chat with a few people. Snake people are weird! ;)

Kathy

When I lived there my son knew most of the snake people. I had no interest in anything but the colubrids, but I listened to the people chat about their other snakes. There were quite a few boa and python breeders in that area. I don't want to offend anyone who loves them, but I turned down offers of free boas and pythons, just not my cup of tea. My son and his friends tried to tell me how valuable the snakes were, and they named morphs like sunglows or moonglows, or something similar that meant nothing to me.

I don't remember going to the Taylor show, just Romulus and Columbus. Besides snakes I raised chameleons, geckos, bearded dragons, and a host of other lizards, plus tortoises. I usually stocked up on crickets, roaches, meal worms, and super worms at the shows too.

It's neat to see so many people having so many different animals. I can certainly see how snakes can be addicting...can't wait to add a second corn to the household.. Never thought I would get into snakes..

It's neat to see so many people having so many different animals. I can certainly see how snakes can be addicting...can't wait to add a second corn to the household.. Never thought I would get into snakes..

When I was young, neither did I.

Then when I did, I was certain I was the only person in the world really interested in snakes. I was flabbergasted to learn that there was even something like the Maryland Herpetological Society.

Of course, that was all in the pre-internet days.

When I was about 10 years old exploring the woods and fields around my area I chanced upon a garter snake breeding ball. If you have never seen one, this thing was a mass of writhing snakes the size of a soccer ball. I thought I died and went to Heaven. I ran home and got a big box and captured the whole ball of snakes. I ran home only to find all of them but one had squeezed out the bottom of the box. I looked for a long time and never saw another sight like that. If I were that female garter I probably would have hid out too.

As long as I remember I was always bringing frogs, toads, turtles an the occasional snake home. I wasn't until after I graduated from college (early 90s) that I started breeding corn snakes. It started after I purchase a book about corn morph back in '91 that got me interested. It became my main adult life hobby.

It's been quite a while since I was on here last. Saw Dale's post on FB about Wade's passing and thought about 8-9 years ago and all the good times there were.

Kathy
I'm also new. Where we are people avoid your house if they know you have snakes. Our nanny refused to clean our room for a while after we first got snakes.

Sent from my PRA-LA1 using Tapatalk

Back