CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Me here to feed.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #31
Karl_Mcknight
I have a large plastic bin about 2 feet long and a foot wide. It's sort of like tupperware, clear plastic. I line with with a few layers of paper towels. This is the "Feeding Box."

If you have mulch, repti-bark, aspen or some sort of shavings in your setup, these could stick to the mouse and then the snake could swallow a piece of this foreign material and could actually hurt them significantly. That's one reason for not feeding in the tank. If you have newspaper, paper towels, or some sort of mat material in the setup, then you can feed the snake in the tank.

A second reason to Not feed in the Tank is because of "Learned Behavior." Yes, snakes can learn stuff- they're not stupid. If the snake gets used to eating in his main tank, then he could associate your hands in his tank as "Feeding time." And you could get bit by mistake. If you remove the snake to a separate feeding box, he will learn that activity, and understand what is going to happen when you place him in that box.

When I place my corn snake in the Plastic Feeding box I mentioned above, he immediately starts looking for the mouse. He knows what's about to happen.

He never snaps at me when I reach my hand into his cage, and I don't have to worry about him swallowing something that might get stuck to the mouse.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #32
jagodzinski
Good advice and the same reason I feed outside of the tank in a rubbermaid. But I respect that everyone has a different opinion.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #33
MysticExotics
There are the "what if's", but none of them are absolute, or all that common, for that matter.

I've always fed in the enclosure with Corns, Kings, and a variety of Carpet Pythons, and none have ever become more aggressive because of being fed inside their enclosure.

I've fed with aspen in the enclosure, with no problems. I thaw the rodents out in water, and let them dry a bit on a towel before I feed, so they're slightly damp when I feed, and I've never had a problem with ingestion of substrate.

It boils down to what works best for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google