CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Egg without breeding

Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
CornyJoke
Egg without breeding

Hi everyone,

I purchased 2 female hatchlings 9 years ago and they have been housed together since without issue.

I just walked by them and noticed a single egg against the terrarium glass.

Neither have ever laid an egg before.

So what’s going on? Why would a female lay her first egg at 9 years old without ever being mates or brumated.

Im at a loss and very surprised. Is this common?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
67temp
It happens sometimes. Normally a female will reabsorb the eggs if not fertilized. If they aren't absorbed then they get laid.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
CornyJoke
Thanks for the reply.

Since my initial post she’s laid 2 more eggs (about 24h between each) and regurgitated her meal from over a week ago.

She’s acting very hungry and active but refused to eat when I tried yesterday.

Still worried, hopefully she feels better soon.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
67temp
Does she appear to have anymore eggs in her? Sometimes the female can become egg bound requiring surgery to save her.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
CornyJoke
I don’t think she looks to have any more in her (though I would have said the same thing before she laid these three).

I’ve provided her with a nesting box and some damp moss to see if it makes a difference.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
CornyJoke
Little update for anyone interested. The day after I added a nesting box and some moist moss, she laid another egg. This one was the first normal looking one (instead of a slug egg).

There was nothing for 4 days, and today I got home from work and noticed 8 eggs in the moss. Just one slug.

Hopefully she’s feeling better. How long after laying will she be ready to eat? She must be starving.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
CornyJoke
Also, is it normal to have 10 days between first and last egg?

Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Frank Pinello
After laying eggs they quickly go into a shed cycle. So after I remove the eggs I'll offer a fuzzy mouse or two and some water. Most times than not they eagerly take the meal.

Regarding egg laying, all my female corns lay their eggs all at one time. I would say the spread over several days is unusual.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I've never heard of them spaced out like that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google