CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Aggressive/Weird Behavior from new snake

Old 04-22-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
cory_90
Unhappy Aggressive/Weird Behavior from new snake

Hello all!

I recently took in another corn snake (bringing my collection to 2 snakes). Its gender is unknown (but I'll refer to it as 'he'), he's about 3 years old (that's what the previous owner told me) and about three feet long.

I brought him home around the beginning of this month and the first few days I had him I was handling him just fine. He was a little wiggly but he would often calm down in my hands after a good five minutes.

But then starting about two weeks ago (not long after bringing him home) I took him out and he got REALLY agitated and started striking (narrowly missing my face on the first go, ahah--yikes). I quickly put on a glove and just let him strike at that in hopes that it would get it out of his system but no luck, and I quickly put him back into his habitat to cool off.

Since then, I can barely handle him. I use gloves and handle him over his viv in case he gets too puffy and I panic and lose my grip (hasn't happened yet but the last thing my roommates want is a loose snake). But he never calms down and constantly either tries to get away from me or rears up and confronts/strikes at me and rattles his tail.

And then today when I tried to handle him he did something weird that I've never seen a snake do before--when I went to hold him behind his head (very gently) while holding him firmly in my other hand, he just opened his mouth wide at me, but didn't strike. He just gaped. And every time I touched his jaw he would do it. I had my roommate take pictures of that if anyone would want to see it.

His temps are fine and his habitat is the right size for him, though it's a new home for him as his previous owner rehomed him to me in a sized up tank since he was needing to go up to that size anyway.

He's not in shed and he ate fine last week.

Sorry this is so long winded--I'm just worried and upset at the idea that I may not be able to handle him without fear. My other corn is a total mellow sweetheart and only struck at me once when he was SUPER blue (my own fault for bothering him). This new snake is the first time I've dealt with a corn showing this much aggression towards anything. And thoughts and ideas would be super appreciated.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
HVani
First double and triple check temps. What are they? It seems like many aggressive corns are due to temperatures being off.

Next, don't put him back if he's striking and biting. It only teaches him that this behavior has you leave him alone. Wait until he's calm again then put him back. I would also handle him someplace quiet where you can sit down, not over his viv. That way he can feel better supported and more secure.

The gaping is most likely a warning.

With persistence and patience he should calm down.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
materwitch
I would double check the substrate temperature. I'm new to cornsnakedom, but my Vet has told me that too hot substrate can sometimes lead to angry snakes.
And to be on the safe side, dont wear hand lotion or cologne, maybe he is reacting to a chemical or other scent.
Also, just a thought, but if your snake is in fact a he, he could be in Season and may be acting out all of a sudden for that reason.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
aggressive