CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

just how "smart" are they?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Todd120
Ours grabs the mouse and holds him awhile, even though it is FT. Just to make sure it's dead I guess. If you sit and watch him, he won't start the swallowing process. He just holds it, and stares at you. He doesn't even blink. lol You have to ignore him, or set the lid on the box. The moment you do, he turns it and swallows it. He likes to eat in private I guess.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
GoRabbitGo
I use Reptivite w/o D3 mixed with Repashy Superpig. I'm not sure if it'll help anyone else, because i have about 30 snakes and that one is the only one who actually seeks it out, but it sure won't hurt i guess?

For non feeders, i raise Western fencepost lizards and i'll just rub a f/t pink on one of the lizards. They get lights, heat, and all the cockroaches they want so i figure occasionally having a mouse rubbed on your back isn't too bad a trade-off.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
Anit
I would let him try the real one,then give him to drink, so it will not spit out.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
SnakesMcGee
I love this thread because mine had to scale back to a half-pinky the other day (after a regurge) and she attacked it from the side for quite some time unsuccessfully. Not the brightest bulb in the box!

I do wonder how smart our snakes are, and how much they know of who/what we are. Mine is perfectly content being handled and yet when I'm not handling her she seems terrified of me... it's interesting. I'm hoping that shyness gets weeded out over time as she grows up, but who knows? She is who she is.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
SnakesMcGee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd120 View Post
Ours grabs the mouse and holds him awhile, even though it is FT. Just to make sure it's dead I guess. If you sit and watch him, he won't start the swallowing process. He just holds it, and stares at you. He doesn't even blink. lol You have to ignore him, or set the lid on the box. The moment you do, he turns it and swallows it. He likes to eat in private I guess.
Mine is the same exact way... she'll only eat if she's alone. I feel so guilty when I come back to check before she's done and she just stares at me with a mouth full of mouse, as if to say "Excuse me, do you mind?"

Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #16
Kenzie'sGrampa
As Peaches is not only my first reptile, but, due to the fact that prior to holding her, every snake I'd ever been physically close to in my life were in the wild and poisonous, she's also the first snake I'd ever been close to that I didn't kill on sight. So, I'm used to dogs, cats, and birds. At first, I tended to judge Peaches' behavior based on the loving nature of those pets. I had a vet friend reason through my error with me and help me change my approach and expectations. I didn't know anything at all about snake psychology; if they "love", if they bond with those who show them love and take care of them, etc. I didn't even know if they had distinctive personalities. Peaches (and this forum) answered many of those questions in just over five months of her presence. I think time will answer any that remain, as well as any that arise later. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying the experience of having her.
After experiencing love-at-first hold with Peaches, the only question that truly eludes me is this: Why didn't I do this 40 years ago????

Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
mjackso630
Snakes have been around for over 150 million years, so I'd say that they're 'geniuses' at what they do and how they do it. They don't have the same ~kind~ of intelligence that mammals and other 'higher' life forms do, but their brains/minds are perfectly suited to what they do to survive and thrive.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
daddio207
You should see my Blacktail Cribo eat. He'll grab the hopper from any angle and just start consuming it as he thrashes it around his tub. Once he started tail first and used the side of the tub to force it into his mouth and ended up blowing the mouses guts out. Seriously the most disgusting eating habits out of all my species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google