CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

New Owner, confused on size to feed

Old 01-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
DLena
New Owner, confused on size to feed

First, I apologize in advance for any errors. I'm 52, thought I'd be dead before computers really caught on...not sure how to do a thread.

I just bought my first corn snake. She is arriving from SMR in about a month, and I'm working to get everything set up. She's appx 16" long. I emailed Don and he said she's eating small pinky mice, but could move up to medium. Layne Labs has a great rep, so I planned to order from them. I don't know which size to order, or the quantity. The med/large option seems to be a big jump in size from their small pinky size.

Also, with only one snake, how many should I purchase at a time?

Any suggestions?
8^)

Old 01-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
sian.kelly
The Munson Feeding Plan is a great resource - there's load of threads on here about it but in general it tells you how often and how much to feed your snake based on your snakes weight. Many of us that use are more conservative as it's considered a very aggressive plan but you'll find more details about it on a dedicated thread about it. (Buy a digital scale, very helpful!)

I'd keep her on the size she's currently eating with the breeder, just to play it safe and once you get her you'll be able to better tell what to feed her.

I'm not sure about ordering food online as I live in Scotland, but I buy four mice at a time since I don't need to worry about delivery prices. I think people buy them in bulk but someone else will be more helpful here.

Hope that helps you a bit, good luck with your new snake when you get her!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Dragonling
I would go ahead and get the medium/large pinkies from Layne Labs and start out feeding the smallest you can find in the bag. 50 could be enough starting out, but 100 is cheaper per mouse, and you'll probably still use them up if you feed doubles later on.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I would not go overboard and order 100 pinkies or more (thinking you can save money in bulk) because some baby snakes grow very fast, and your snake could actually move up to much larger prey long before you feed all the pinkies you've bought.

Opinions are as many as the folks who visit this site, so for what it's worth here's mine:

When your snake is full grown and it's eating a constant size mouse, you'd be better off to buy quantities in bulk. But while you have a baby snake eating pinkies, a trip to your local PetsMart or PetCo and buying 3 or 4 at a time would be better.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
mishima25
I agree whith what has been said. As the snake is still small I wouldn't buy that many.
Plus feeding the current size she's eating can minimize problems with acclimation/stress and you can feed her something while you get a scale, weigh your snake and adjust to Munson plan before making a choice on prey size.
I've been buying between 6-10 mice each time and haven't ended up with mice too small to feed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google