CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
joann42
Am I doing something wrong?

This is my seconds clutch of eggs with the same pairing in the last two years. The babies that hatch out are always so small. They are almost all 5 grams with a couple at 6 grams..This seems small to me but Im not an expert by any means.
I havent had problems with them being unhealthy or not eating but they come out of the egg so skinny and small.
Ive heard that Miami phase tends toward small babies(not sure where I read this) is this the case?
They were incubated around 80- 81 degrees, its been 65 days and most are out of the egg. Last year I incubated at 82 -83 degrees and they hatched at 58 days, so reduced the temp a bit hoping for a longer incubation and larger babies, but it didnt make a difference.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
how big do you think a baby corn snake should be?

It sounds normal to me, but I'm not a breeder.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
joann42
I was thinking average size is 6-8 grams and that a consistent 5 grams seems low to me.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
canicemok
This might be just due to the genetics of the female corn. When she produces smaller eggs, the babies will be hatched out smaller. Some corns just lay bigger eggs and have bigger babies.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Twolunger
My 3 year old females typically lay smaller eggs than my older and larger females. I've hatched some so small that they couldn't eat a 2 day old pinkie. I've also hatched some monster sizes from large eggs. As long as the babies eat well I would be very happy regardless of size. I'm not a big fan of double clutches but some of my females laid a second clutch without being reintroduced to the male.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM   #6
Nanci
That's smallish, but not really unusual. I have had clutches where the babies were 4 and 5 grams. It's fine- they just take a bit longer to get going than the 8-9 gram clutches.

Some people think incubation temperature influences hatchling size, but I haven't really seen a relationship. I incubate at 80-82, which is low, and still have females whose babies are small.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
joann42
okay thanks everyone. I just didnt know if it was a husbandry issue or she just has small babies. Like I said they are healthy and last time had no issue with non eaters and didnt lose any.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google