CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

"special needs" snake

Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
jozee
My juvenile corn(Lefty) got his head stuck in a drawer Dec. 5 & broke his neck, & now his neck is @ a 45 degree angle to the left. It took him 2 wks. to be able to eat again. Lefty did the same thing your snake does for the first couple of months, it must be equilibrium, he doesn't do it as much any more, ocassionally,yes. Otherwise he's doing AWESOME & thriving!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
I think that the reason he is all over the place in your hands and seems worse might be because he is more stressed being held. I watched your video and found him rather adorable. If it isn't anything else then he is a special needs snake and there is nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand what Nanci had to say interested me. I would keep that in mind even though the people where you got him from told you that he has been like this all his life. Sometimes you just never know...

And good luck! He is quite cute!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
I think that the reason he is all over the place in your hands and seems worse might be because he is more stressed being held. I watched your video and found him rather adorable. If it isn't anything else then he is a special needs snake and there is nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand what Nanci had to say interested me. I would keep that in mind even though the people where you got him from told you that he has been like this all his life. Sometimes you just never know...

And good luck! He is quite cute!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
Ummmm....Seems my computer glitched out and sent that post twice lol!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
Silvergrin
Well I guess there are all sorts of things that could cause that, but if he's been like that 3 years and it's not getting worse, then it's probably nothing to worry about as long as you like him the way he is. Is he wild caught or captive bred?

I had some loopy Kenyan Sand Boas - as I understand it they were literally "half baked" - the breeder hadn't known mama was (gravid?), and KSBs require high temps to correctly gestate their offspring (they're live bearers), but mama didn't have access to the high temps. So the result was a bunch of babies with congenital neurological issues who had really poor orientation. One of them was actually just lying on its back in the cup when I got it home from the show, I thought it was dead! But it was fine, and they all ate heartily and did very well, except for latching on to me when they tried for a feeding strike XD They would seriously go at right angles to where they wanted to go!
As time went on they got less and less loopy. I still have one (sold the rest) and now I can't really tell there was anything wrong with her.

I will note that stress/excitement seemed to make the problem manifest - for example, they looked REALLY BAD at the show, to the point where the breeder didn't want me showing them to anyone and saying they got them from him. But once they were snug and settled in to their homes they were a lot less weird looking. So in daily activities your snake might be a lot more "competent" than when he's excited.

Very pretty snake, I had not seen that species before! Thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
eight
Looks like stargazer syndrome to me. Its a recessive genetic condition that affects balance but doesn't seem to cause any harm to the snake.

Check out the serpwidgets video on youtube and more info at cccorns at the links below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKNn_cgj1k

http://cccorns.com/SGinfo.php

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google