CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

09 baby eating bi-weekly

Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
starship
09 baby eating bi-weekly

We have three 09 babies, and the oldest is the smallest. At best she is eating every other week. She has been eating F/Ts, and turned it down again this weekend.

Should I worry about her not eating enough (I already am!)? At what point do I "force" feed (stick the pinkie in her mouth).

Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
BobbyHill
Eating every other week is a heck of a lot better than not eating at all. Are you sure temps are optimal, as well has having plenty of hides for the snake? If everything is as it should be, I'd say everything is fine and you'll probably just have a slow grower. No big deal.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
starship
83 on the warm side, paper and a tube for hides. Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
jesserca
I understand that you are concerned, but although every two weeks is not perfect, I don't believe that it is harmful to your snake. Have you tried any techniques, like braining? I have a ball python that refuses to eat in front of us, so we will turn the lights off and leave him be, usually in 30 minutes the mouse is gone, maybe try that.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
83 on the warm side, paper and a tube for hides. Thanks
You could bump the temperature up a tad. While 83 is acceptable, it's preferable for babies to be a bit warmer, say 85-87.

Like Bobby Hill said, eating every other week is much better than not eating at all. The baby should do fine, although it won't grown rapidly. I'd minimize stress as much as possible; no handling, a reasonably quiet room, etc., until this one's older. Good luck with it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google