CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Reptilinks™ review

Old 01-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #21
nancyg
I don't think any of the hatchlings (corns) I've had have ever 'strike and coiled' on food. So the biggest question for me is 'will they eat it?" If it's more nutritious and easier to digest, I'm all for it and would not mind trying these.
I have to admit that I know very little about these things (the links) And they certainly won't 'freak' out someone looking in my freezer as much as the regular rodents would. And they seem to be as simple as the rodents in feeding..

I do have one adult that almost always strikes and coils warm/hot food though, even if it's just sitting there (no tongs or teasing) So maybe no links for her if she won't eat the squished mess she makes.

NancyG

Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
DuxorW
Hopefully mine will get shipped out on Jan4 and I can report how many of my babies try them. I have 18 hatchlings that are on 1day-med/large pinks, so will offer them all a micro or mini link to test, and I'll try scenting it for the ones that don't take it. There are some picky eaters in the bunch so I'm curious how they'll take to it. Then I'll split them into groups for the great reptilink growth rate experiment!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #23
Dragonling
So the good news is, he ate the link.

The bad news is, I had to trick him into doing so.

He turned his nose up at the first offering, almost looking offended. Pinky scenting did nothing. Finally I gave him a small pinky and as the rear end started to disappear, I put the end of the link in his mouth. He kind of sat there seeming confused while he finished swallowing the pinky, but I think instinct took over and he happily swallowed the link. I'm not sure if the fact that he's in shed had any effect. He followed the mouse eagerly but once he smelled the link up close he quickly backed away.

I also didn't intend for him to eat such a large meal while he's in shed, but he hasn't cleared up yet, and typically he takes a full 24-48hr to shed afterwards. I'll be watching closely for any signs of regurge as well.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #24
DollysMom
I'm not thinking of trying Reptilinks at this time, but I'm still thankful for this thread and information. Thanks for sharing Tango's response. It is fascinating how they react to different things.

My only problem with the mice in my freezer is that they look cute to me and I feel kind of sad they are dead. I get over that as I watch my snake chow down.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #25
DuxorW
I bet Tango can be convinced to take one after he sheds, especially if scented. I don't try and feed snakes in shed anymore but back when I offered them food anyways, the majority were reluctant or refused.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #26
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
I bet Tango can be convinced to take one after he sheds, especially if scented. I don't try and feed snakes in shed anymore but back when I offered them food anyways, the majority were reluctant or refused.
He showed zero hesitation when offered a mouse, but yeah I think there might be some additional reluctance to accept something new.

Apparently what I did is called train feeding, and Nick suggested that a lot of snakes more easily convert to links through that method.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #27
MysticExotics
Maybe try scenting them...?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #28
Dragonling
I scented with a thawed pink. He seemed more interested, but still backed away. Going to keep an eye out for anole shed at work to try that too.

He was snuggled down in his favorite warm spot this morning looking fat and happy.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #29
DuxorW
I bet the pinky scenting will work after he sheds I will probably go an extra day or two without feeding mine to hopefully prime them to take the links, scented or not.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #30
DuxorW
I don't want to take over Laura's review, just thought I'd post this to give her a little hope that Tango will take the reptilinks more easily after shedding. I received my links and thawed 5 of them just to test the waters with a few snakes.

Three took the links with no hesitation. The links seemed a little delicate, two snakes broke them in half. This may be because I thawed them in sealed bag submerged in VERY hot water. However, it was not messy and I simply offered the broken piece after they swallowed the other half. The two other snakes required scenting (I just bumped the end of the link against the belly of a mouse) and then they took it. However, they are the two pickiest eaters I have owned, so it says a lot that they took them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google