CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How to thaw fuzzys?

Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
Asher9
Question How to thaw fuzzys?

Hi, I was wondering how long it takes to thaw out a fuzzy? And how do you tell it is completely thawed out? I use the method where you put the fuzzy in a bag and soak in almost-hot water.

Thank you!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
hot water straight from the tap. Do not heat it on the stove or in the microwave. Drop the mouse into the water. A small mouse will be thawed in about 15 minutes, a big mouse in about 30. The snake will appreciate it more if it's still warm when you offer it to him. Snakes can sense heat, and a living mouse should be warm anyway. If the mouse is cold, the snake may not eat it.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Asher9
Thanks you! Why can't you heat the water in the stove/microwave?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
it could get too hot and you may actually cook the mouse. All you want to do is thaw it out. Just get a small bowl, fill it up with hot tap water and put the mouse in it. It's that easy. Think of it like this - Take an ice cube out of your freezer and drop it in a bowl of hot tap water. How long for the ice cube to melt? This isn't rocket science.

Besides, cleaning an exploded rat from a microwave oven is not something I care to do.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Asher9
Oh, ok, yeah I know you can't heat the mouse on the stove or microwave, I thought you were saying I couldn't heat the water in the stove or microwave.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
claire.chapman11
Colubrids dont have heat pits, so at work I just put a bag of pinkies/ fuzzies in my pocket and walk around for 15 mins and they're good lol. As long as they're not super cold.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
daddio207
You can heat the water only up on the stove or in a microwave oven BUT if the water is too hot the mouse's stomachs can still blow open. Even extremely hot water from the tap can pop a mouse open.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire.chapman11 View Post
Colubrids dont have heat pits, so at work I just put a bag of pinkies/ fuzzies in my pocket and walk around for 15 mins and they're good lol. As long as they're not super cold.

WHAT ??? LOL That's a new one

I guess if it's been working for ya lol Just keep in mind that the mouse got to be thawed internally and should be warm. Corn snakes can definitely sense heat and it is a feeding trigger for most. If their any cold then their probably partially frozen on the inside

PS not laughing at you. It just struck my funny bone

Old 01-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
claire.chapman11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
WHAT ??? LOL That's a new one

I guess if it's been working for ya lol Just keep in mind that the mouse got to be thawed internally and should be warm. Corn snakes can definitely sense heat and it is a feeding trigger for most. If their any cold then their probably partially frozen on the inside

PS not laughing at you. It just struck my funny bone
Lol body heat works really well. They're always nice and squishy when I feed them. Its easier for me because the water at the store doesn't heat up very well.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
claire.chapman11
BTW they're in a plastic bag, not just open in my pocket xD

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeder, mouse