CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Lighting, Bulbs and holders

Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
GRIMJIM
Lighting, Bulbs and holders

Hi everyone.
I'm wanting to provide my corn snake with some day time lighting. I've been looking at the whitepython led kit but not sure whether I wanna spend £30-£35 on it. I'm sure there must be cheaper options.
I have a starter for uv tubes and I also have a ceramic heater which I don't use.
I'm wondering if I could put an ordinary led bulb in the ceramic bulb holder? Or if anyone has any other suggestions on providing cheap and effective day time lighting?
Thanks in advance
Craig

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Corning
You probably can use a bulb that is just for for light. You just gotta watch the wattage is compatible. Try google the brand for a website. Might have that information there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
GRIMJIM
Don't know how to delete

Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corning View Post
You probably can use a bulb that is just for for light. You just gotta watch the wattage is compatible. Try google the brand for a website. Might have that information there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers

Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
GRIMJIM

Old 01-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Twolunger
If you have a ceramic bulb socket you can use an LED bulb, however, over here there is more than one socket size. As long as your new bulb fits into the socket you are okay. You do know that the corn snake doesn't require lighting, so whatever you buy is for your viewing pleasure. But generally the corn will hide most of the time.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
If you have a ceramic bulb socket you can use an LED bulb, however, over here there is more than one socket size. As long as your new bulb fits into the socket you are okay. You do know that the corn snake doesn't require lighting, so whatever you buy is for your viewing pleasure. But generally the corn will hide most of the time.
Hi thanks for your response.
I'm aware he doesn't require uv lighting but I personally believe it is best to have lighting in order to create a day and night cycle

Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Twolunger
Day & night cycles are only really important when you are preparing snakes for brumation, or getting them to cycle for breeding after brumation. However, many people like to have daytime lights, and unless they generate excessive heat, there's nothing wrong with them.
Good luck.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Day & night cycles are only really important when you are preparing snakes for brumation, or getting them to cycle for breeding after brumation. However, many people like to have daytime lights, and unless they generate excessive heat, there's nothing wrong with them.
Good luck.
I dunno, it's just that in a wooden viv I kinda feel like he's in the dark all the time

Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Good luck.
I kinda think, if it was daylight all the time and there was no such thing as clocks, how would we know when to sleep and when to be awake?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google