CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Aggressive Corn

Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
tbtusk
You should also make sure you are handling the snake regularly. This should help with the convincing him that everything in his tank is edible, and he should get used to you again.

Also, it sounds like you are feeding live. I just thought I should mention that live mice can hurt your snake VERY badly as they fight back when scared, nd can also attack the snake if the snake is not interested in eating. It would be much safer to feed frozen, then thawed mice. It may take some work to transition the snake from one to the other, but it will be well worth it.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
chriSSSssss
you should probouly get your snake a girl friend or even a buddy,because i had a snake that bit to until i got him a friend.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriSSSssss View Post
you should probouly get your snake a girl friend or even a buddy,because i had a snake that bit to until i got him a friend.
Please ignore this comment, as it's completely wrong.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14 View Post
Please ignore this comment, as it's completely wrong.
Hah! The last thing you'd want to do when dealing with a solitary species that is showing signs of stress is introduce another snake into the enclosure.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Hah! The last thing you'd want to do when dealing with a solitary species that is showing signs of stress is introduce another snake into the enclosure.
Well you don't know that!!! They might cuddle!11!!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Rich in KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14 View Post
Well you don't know that!!! They might cuddle!11!!
It definitely stresses me more when I have to cuddle

Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #17
Pat GC
Why do we feel the need to selectively anthropomorphize our critters???? When they exhibit behaviors we like they are being just like us. If they show any sort of unwanted behavior, suddenly we remember that they are, even after all the breeding, animals that act out of instinct and not emotions!!! I provide homes for Corns, Brooksi Kings, Mex. Blk. Kings, and two pairs of Bulls. They are all individuals that act and react the way they will (I have a trio of Abbott Okeetees that I refer to as the spawn of Hell!!! They try to get me any way they can and I don't have a clue why. Doesn't matter what's going on they just want a piece of me!). That is exactly why I enjoy keeping them all. I would be completely bored if all they did was just sit there! But then I'm human (I think!?!?) and I'm allowed to be bored!
Shalom,

Pat

Old 12-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #18
uuini
I fed him frozen/thawed mice for a while, when live ones were hard to find, but he's really picky with them. I always watch him when he eats. If he looks uninterested in a mouse after half a minute (he usually goes right for it), then I put him away and give the mouse to the outdoor cats. So I'm not terribly concerned with the live mice. I've read a bit about the live vs. frozen thing and I think live works better for me and him.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #19
v_various
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuini View Post
I fed him frozen/thawed mice for a while, when live ones were hard to find, but he's really picky with them. I always watch him when he eats. If he looks uninterested in a mouse after half a minute (he usually goes right for it), then I put him away and give the mouse to the outdoor cats. So I'm not terribly concerned with the live mice. I've read a bit about the live vs. frozen thing and I think live works better for me and him.
Half a minute!? And you're watching? If I did that my snakes would never eat. They feel (?) exposed when eating. To the point where it's a natural reaction for wild snakes to regurge when threatened. Food = slow and sluggish snake, and eating in the open, in full light, with someone watching is not comfortable for some of them. With two of mine, I usually have to leave them in a covered container, in a dark room, for them to eat. Sometimes I leave them for over an hour, to make sure they get to eat in peace. My other one has an awesome feeding response, but even then a few times I've had to cover him up with an old shirt because he'll just sit there with the mouse half in his jaws, not swallowing until I give the princess his privacy.

And don't get him a friend. That person doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_various View Post
Half a minute!? And you're watching? If I did that my snakes would never eat. They feel (?) exposed when eating. To the point where it's a natural reaction for wild snakes to regurge when threatened. Food = slow and sluggish snake, and eating in the open, in full light, with someone watching is not comfortable for some of them. With two of mine, I usually have to leave them in a covered container, in a dark room, for them to eat. Sometimes I leave them for over an hour, to make sure they get to eat in peace. My other one has an awesome feeding response, but even then a few times I've had to cover him up with an old shirt because he'll just sit there with the mouse half in his jaws, not swallowing until I give the princess his privacy.

And don't get him a friend. That person doesn't know what he's talking about.
Five of my six aren't shy at all about eating in front of me (or in my hand) and the 6th is also fine with public eating, when she's not getting over some calamity. I think it's a matter of comfort level for the snake.

Half a minute is not nearly enough time to let your snake decide whether or not it's interested in dinner. Since you're feeding live, you know you can't leave the mouse and snake unattended, but try to give him a few minutes to decide.

I have one that is getting over an illness that seems to only like live, so that's what I'm going with for a while. Once he's got plenty of stored reserves, we'll have a battle of wills over converting him to F/T, starging with pre-killed and going from there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google